need some clarification

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
a topic on another thread the person was worried that a roast they were resting got into the danger zone, but i know that smoking meat kills a lot of the bacteria so it can last longer. i tried googeling it got answers that said it can last 4 days to a week with refrigeration, but i have kept for 2 weeks. so do any of you know the answer.

Smoke is a natural preserative, that's all we had until the fridge was invented.
Ice was also harvested and stored in bunkers for warm weather use but I'm sure most folks especially farmers and poor folk relied on smoke only.

So it got into the danger zone... under 140 degrees? And for how long, 30 minutes, 3 hours? If it was cooked /smoked properly getting back under 140 isn't bad... unless it's for several hours or overnight, then that's different. Also portioning it and freezing some for later is the best way to not worry about it.

Ryan

a topic on another thread the person was worried that a roast they were resting got into the danger zone, but i know that smoking meat kills a lot of the bacteria so it can last longer. i tried googeling it got answers that said it can last 4 days to a week with refrigeration, but i have kept for 2 weeks. so do any of you know the answer.
When resting, for instance wrapped in foil inside a cooler, it's okay for the internal temp to fall below 140° simply because it's protected fairly well.

If a roast was openly resting on the counter, or in a serving pan and fell below 140° you have a 2 hours to either consume it, reheat it, or begin refrigeration.

However it sounds like your question is a roast fell below 140°, and was refrigerated. How long is the recommended refrigeration time? As long as you got it into the fridge within 2 hours, the answer is 3 to 4 days.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky