Mixing pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
I've been using a Weber Smokey Mountain for 5 years. I used charcoal, and usually two big hunks of maybe hickory or oak, and one or two of a fruit wood, like apple or cherry. Getting a new camp Chef Woodwind 36 in two days. Lots of flavored pellets, do you experienced pellet grillers mix them? Any specific ratio? I plan to start with Camp Chef Competition pellets because I negotiated some free from the dealer. I intend to use Lumber Jack brand after that, they seem to be highly rated and Farm And Fleet has them for $10 for 20 pounds. Thanks for any input.

I intend to use Lumber Jack brand after that, they seem to be highly rated and Farm And Fleet has them for $10 for 20 pounds. Thanks for any input.
I really like mixing the Lumberjack MHC and the Fruitwood blend 50/50. It's a good blend for cold smoke too.

Edit to add: my WSM usually runs on 2 chunks of hickory, 1 maple, and then either mesquite or a couple of fruit wood chunks depending on what's getting cooked.

I mix my lumberjack hickory with apple and cherry all the time. Ratio??? No clue couple seconds pour of one than the other, then mix in the hopper. Love the results. Only thing I don't mix is mesquite cuz it will over power most fruit woods. Great on steak though.

You can certainly mix them up and see if you come up with something you really like. It's all a matter of tastes and what I like you may not like so just use different types and mixes till it suits you and your family

I mix in some of the charcoal pellets in with my wood pellets in my AMAZ-N-tube in my pellet smoker. I find that they really boost the smoke ring and help keep the tube lit.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Most of the comp blends are good enuff that I don't try to formulate my own on purpose, I have made some decent blends on accident by adding to other I have in the hopper and never had any bad. I wish LJ would go back to making straight apple but would bet its harder to source apple as it has to come from orchards,

I use Lumber Jack exclusively in my Timberline. I used to do my own mixes but I like the Competition blend well enough, I have just been using that lately. There is nothing wrong with making your own blends, it's just a little time consuming.

No, the pellet smoke isn't strong enough to mess with fruit wood and other milder woods. Hickory and oak are the way to go with pellets unless you prefer mild smoke.

Thank you everyone. Picked up my Camp Chef yesterday, put it together today (one hour) and now it's raining. I got two bags of competition pellets and one of oak, which I usually used with beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky