Minnesota Smoker!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Eric, morning and welcome to the forum..... Glad you stopped in and joined us....  As you search the forum, I'm sure you will have specific questions about many things....  Ask, and our knowledgeable membership will gladly help answer them.... Enjoy the long smokey ride...    

Dave

welcome Eric [ fellow Minnesotan], i'm new myself and excited to learn more. i'm a retired meatcutter and i think i know a few things but i have learned there is a lot to learn and glad to be part of this group and this site in general. Reinhard

Last edited:
I smoked chicken breast and country style ribs yesterday and they turned out great,  I have been working on a brine and i think I found a good Blend, my wife said it was great. i

Looking to try brisket next, was wondering if anybody had some good tips on picking out the meat?  Also looking for a good rub?? 
Eric, morning...   Some folks recommend a brisket that seems "relaxed" when picked up.... rather than being in full rigor is what I think they are referring to.....   Make sense ??  could be...  My selection of briskets is so limited, I take what I can get.....  SPOG for seasoning starters... salt, pepper, onion, garlic...  then some Montreal steak or similar... 

Dave

Eric, as far as briskets go i would make sure it's USDA choice.  the point end will have the most fat and the flat end will be the leanest. that is what i can tell you as a former meat cutter. i'm mainly a sausage head and although i have made many things from all types of meat, i have never prepared a whole brisket in a smoker or on a grill. that will be a learning experience for me as well. i have seen some nice whole briskets at Walmart Super Stores at a good price as well as Sam's. there will be some fat on these briskets so look for the most bang for your buck as far as leaness but dont expect super lean ones. those you can only buy when the flat end is sold seperatly for a higher price. however for me it will be a whole brisket experience with the help of the folks on here for advice. Reinhard

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky