MES Veteran with Cold Smoker and Smoker Tube, But Ready To Upgrade. What Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

catsass

Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Hi guys.

I've ben using MES smokers for years, though I took a break for a few. I was one of the first to use the old Smoker and extend it with a dryer tube for more consistent temp and to cool the smoke down by distance and ice trays for cheese and fish. I also use the cold smoker in coolers and boxes.

I took a break for a few years and then bought 30" used about a year ago, and a new cold smoker. I've enjoyed it and since it was familiar, I kept using it, but at 56, I'm getting tired of getting down on hands and knees or bending over to manage the cook and refill the cold smoker. I put it on a table and the wind blew it over. I could build something different to hold it, but honestly, I am yearning to cook upright like a modern man.

I use pellets and chipped wood combo, and I think I would prefer to stick with pellets over making an actual fire or charcoal. I think part of it is I'm not 100% sure on how you maintain consistent heat, unless the side compartment is just for smoke and you still use a burner I guess. I'm open to ideas though if you think I should go straight to an offset or whatever it's called.

I would also like a bit more room on the grill.

I do have a 1500F searing grill, so don't necessarily need to crisp food up in it, but it would be nice if it was a bit more multi purpose. The focus is on smoking meat though.

Can anyone recommend a good unit to get that's not a massive investment? Say $5-600? Possibly a used on to get more value for dollar?

Last edited:
I don't have a pellet cooker, so I'm not much help here. But someone will come along with some helpful info.

A question:
When you say cold smoker are you referring to the Masterbuilt attachment?

If you're looking for a little more room find yourself a used 40" MES and put it on a waist high table to avoid bending over.

If you're using the MB cold smoker attachment mount it,otherwise I'd do the mailbox mod and use an Amazen tray or tube.These burn pellets and/or dust and can produce up to 12hrs of smoke in one load,even if you keep it on the ground you're only dealing with it once.

Another really great mod that's super easy is to do the simple rewire and add an Auber PID.Once you do that you can set and hold temp +/- 1degree of set temp which is awesome for cold smoking,sausage etc.

Search Simple Rewire and Mailbox Mod here on the site for detailed info.These two mods turn the MES into an electric smoking machine for a fraction of the cost of a newer more expensive smoker.

$600 should get you a decent pellet smoker. Traeger, CampChef, Pit Boss, and their clones tend to be at or under that; you may even find a fancier type, used. (New) pellet smokers are often on sale *somewhere*, though Memorial Day was a popular weekend for discounts. Considerations: how much cooking area or volume do you need/want? How many bells-&-whistles (wifi connectivity, etc.)? Hopper size? Portability? There are some pretty in-depth comparison articles out there, once you narrow down your list a bit.

Lastly, don't forget accessories: both manufacturer add-ons (extra shelf space, accessory propane cooker for boiling water or griddling, etc., if that's your jam) and third-party (A-Maze-N tube or tray, temperature probes, durable cover, etc., if you don't already have them).

A question:
When you say cold smoker are you referring to the Masterbuilt attachment?

If you're looking for a little more room find yourself a used 40" MES and put it on a waist high table to avoid bending over.

If you're using the MB cold smoker attachment mount it,otherwise I'd do the mailbox mod and use an Amazen tray or tube.These burn pellets and/or dust and can produce up to 12hrs of smoke in one load,even if you keep it on the ground you're only dealing with it once.

Another really great mod that's super easy is to do the simple rewire and add an Auber PID.Once you do that you can set and hold temp +/- 1degree of set temp which is awesome for cold smoking,sausage etc.

Search Simple Rewire and Mailbox Mod here on the site for detailed info.These two mods turn the MES into an electric smoking machine for a fraction of the cost of a newer more expensive smoker.
I was thinking about that. I have someone picking up my 30” today because I’m moving to a suburb of Houston next weekend. Keeping my MB cold smoker attachment. I also have an Amazon smoke tube for pellets. I rarely use it though. It’s a bit of a pain to get and keep going and I like flipping the switch on the attachment.

One option is to get a 40” but I just miss being able to lift a lid and have a nice wide surface to work on without bending over, and without having to build or buy some ugly table just to hold up the smoker.

Last edited:
$600 should get you a decent pellet smoker. Traeger, CampChef, Pit Boss, and their clones tend to be at or under that; you may even find a fancier type, used. (New) pellet smokers are often on sale *somewhere*, though Memorial Day was a popular weekend for discounts. Considerations: how much cooking area or volume do you need/want? How many bells-&-whistles (wifi connectivity, etc.)? Hopper size? Portability? There are some pretty in-depth comparison articles out there, once you narrow down your list a bit.

Lastly, don't forget accessories: both manufacturer add-ons (extra shelf space, accessory propane cooker for boiling water or griddling, etc., if that's your jam) and third-party (A-Maze-N tube or tray, temperature probes, durable cover, etc., if you don't already have them).
I likely will buy used to get more value for the dollar. Plus if I don’t like it I can sell it and not lose too much. I saw the Reqteqs too. They look cool but I’m not sure if they are worth it other that looks.

Last edited:
Staying in that price I would definitely consider PitBoss, Camp Chef or Z Grills.
Never had a pellet pooper but had narrowed it down to these 3 at one time.
Good luck in your quest!

Keith

Reactions: JLinza
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky