MES Support results

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

THW

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Indiana
Well I am very new to smoked meats, smokers and this forum but since I had a discussion with MES Support personnel, I figured I should comment on it.

I have owned an MES 30" 2.5 gen. smoker for about 3 weeks now. During my first attempt to smoke a rack of ribs, I noticed a rather large difference between what the MES digital readout said the air temperature was and what my separate meat thermometer said it was. My separate Temperature sensor is a Thermoworks Smoke.

The "set temperature" was at 225* and once the MES temperature settled down, it showed a slight variation in temperature during the smoke. The readout on the MES was going between 219* and 225*. That seemed perfect to me.

At the typical 3 hour point when I wrapped the ribs in foil, I started comparing MES digital air temp readout and the Thermoworks Smoke air temp probe attached to the second shelf. What I found out was that the MES, although set to 225* was only heating to 190* when checked at the second shelf. So, I was getting a 35 degree offset which was not what I wanted. It would deem that would mean if I set the "set temperature" to the max of 275*, I would actually only get 240* tops.

I called MES Support and talked to them about my findings. They were very pleasant and professional. I explained what my temperature concerns were and they asked a few questions. The questions were, was I using an extension cord or plugged right into a receptical? I was directly plugged in. What was the temperature where the MES was being used? It was 42*. Where was the (Smoke) temperature probe at in the MES? It was attached using the provided clip to the second shelf.

Of course they wanted to know when and where and when I purchased the MES and what the model and serial number were.

After the conversation, they said they would be sending me a new power circuit board and element with instructions on installing it. I am hopeful that will correct the issue.

I am adding this post because I wanted others to know my experience with MES Support. It is somewhat of an unsettling experience to have problems with a new appliance but when you get excellent support from the manufacturer, it really means a lot. Masterbuilt was pleasant, professional, knowledgable and seemed genuinely concerned about getting my MES working right.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Wow sounds like my first one They sent a new controller.Hope you don't have to install 3 like I did.
Richie

Reactions: THW
THW I believe that is the nature of the Masterbuilt beast. My MES-30 runs almost exactly the same. I've recorded what it says compared to what it actually is using my Thermopro TP20. I only use my MES-30 for low and slow so for me I just compensate and it's all good. Also your avatar makes me laugh every time.

Customer support is important, some of these companies would go out of business without such good customer support!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky