MES 20070410 help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
End of round one, two and three. Gentleman please go to your corners. Lets be civil we're all here to help each other.

Chris

Agreed.

There are plenty of threads regarding that topic. On a different note, I would like to try those Pork Shots...
...Atoparok

Agreed.

There are plenty of threads regarding that topic. On a different note, I would like to try those Pork Shots...
...Atoparok

Give them a go I promise you won't be disappointed. Let me know how they turn out.

Larry sorry about the hijacking of the thread.

Chris

Reactions: larrym
To me it sounds like your OUTLET is the issue..Have you tried to plug a Hvy load into that GFI outlet besides the MES ??

Try a vacuum or a skill saw or something that will have a good power draw. All the signs are pointing towards the OUTLET being your problem....

To me it sounds like your OUTLET is the issue..Have you tried to plug a Hvy load into that GFI outlet besides the MES ??

Try a vacuum or a skill saw or something that will have a good power draw. All the signs are pointing towards the OUTLET being your problem....
The outlet and the surge from smoker temp control kicking are the problem. No way to fix so using another outlet.

Just sounds like wiring to that GFI. I just never heard of a GFI not being able to handle a draw that a regular CB could.

Sounds fishy to me...

I thnk I might just post your troubles on the GARAGEJOURNAL.com and see what they say...

This is from the GJ forum...

If you have a Masterbuilt unit, this is a very common failure mode. There are 2 different faults for that symptom.

One is a failure inside the heating element leaking just enough current to ground tripping GFI breaker.

Two the electrical connector to heating element often corrode that burn and form a carbon path to ground that leak current to ground and trip GFI breakers.

If you have fault 1 sometimes running the unit on a non GFI circuit for a few hours will sometimes dry out the element so it will then operate on a GFI.

If you have fault 2 you will have to drill the rivets and inspect. Often the terminal can be cleaned and the connector replaced.

Also if you decide to operate the smoker on a non GFI circuit be certain that it is a circuit with a good ground and the ground pins on any extension cords are present and in good condition as your life may depend on it.

I recommend you test your outlet and cords with a tester like this one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...102H/206029151

Walta

Reactions: larrym and Atoparok
This is from the GJ forum...

If you have a Masterbuilt unit, this is a very common failure mode. There are 2 different faults for that symptom.

One is a failure inside the heating element leaking just enough current to ground tripping GFI breaker.

Two the electrical connector to heating element often corrode that burn and form a carbon path to ground that leak current to ground and trip GFI breakers.

If you have fault 1 sometimes running the unit on a non GFI circuit for a few hours will sometimes dry out the element so it will then operate on a GFI.

If you have fault 2 you will have to drill the rivets and inspect. Often the terminal can be cleaned and the connector replaced.

Also if you decide to operate the smoker on a non GFI circuit be certain that it is a circuit with a good ground and the ground pins on any extension cords are present and in good condition as your life may depend on it.

I recommend you test your outlet and cords with a tester like this one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...102H/206029151

Walta
Thank you! This is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. If the GFCI protected outlet is tripping, there is something wrong with the unit. ...Period! Use it on an unprotected circuit at your own risk! There are tons of information available about this on this very web site if you simply perform a search. DeColores...

Thank you all :) Though I should add that remedy for fault 1 did not work, tried it for several hours. Also I have cleaned heating element ends, they look fine, no carbon build up. Guess my only other option is to replace heating element and analog temp control and see if that works. Or run it on a grounded non gfi outlet with grounded cord.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky