Masterbuilt 560 Updates?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TimTheViking

Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
Greetings everyone. Just bought a 560 that was mostly an impulse buy as it was half price and the guys at work are always talking about it. Since it's been out a couple of years now, what issues has Masterbuilt addressed? In other words, how is the one I bought last week different than the first ones to come off the line?
Thanks!
Tim

Greetings everyone. Just bought a 560 that was mostly an impulse buy as it was half price and the guys at work are always talking about it. Since it's been out a couple of years now, what issues has Masterbuilt addressed? In other words, how is the one I bought last week different than the first ones to come off the line?
Thanks!
Tim
Welcome to SMF.
I don’t own one of these, but curious if the unit you bought was as new or used? Manufacturing date? A buddy of mine has one and really likes it. It makes delicious smoked meat. We seared a TT on it last night that was SV’d all day. It was over the top TT.

Welcome to SMF.
I don’t own one of these, but curious if the unit you bought was as new or used? Manufacturing date? A buddy of mine has one and really likes it. It makes delicious smoked meat. We seared a TT on it last night that was SV’d all day. It was over the top TT.
Bought it new. HD may have had some glitch in their pricing as they were letting them go for $250. I'm not sure how to tell the mfg. date. It did do a firmware update as soon as I connected it to wifi.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Other than a couple of firmware/software updates, I doubt anything else
I think the charcoal grate was modified so that that less charcoal falls through. I seem to remember a video where someone modded the original by putting hotdog skewers through it to prevent large chunks of charcoal from falling through.

Congrats on the 560 ! You will love it and the food it can produce!
The main issue is switch failure.
Most of this can be prevented by using contact cleaner on them between cooks.
Spray and then work them for 30 secs or so and you should have very few if any issues.
Or so that's been my experience anyway.
Get busy and post up some pics !

Keith

Reactions: TimTheViking
Congrats on the 560 ! You will love it and the food it can produce!
The main issue is switch failure.
Most of this can be prevented by using contact cleaner on them between cooks.
Spray and then work them for 30 secs or so and you should have very few if any issues.
Or so that's been my experience anyway.
Get busy and post up some pics !

Keith
Thanks for the advice! I followed the directions for the first-time "seasoning" and was impressed how steady it held temp even thought it was quite breezy.

At first the fan wouldn't come on and I traced it to the the ash door switch. The plunger does not stick out far enough for it to actuated when the door is closed. I fixed it by putting a penny between the switch and heat shield. Works fine now and what a cheap fix!

Attachments

• tempImageNCVJVW.png
    tempImageNCVJVW.png
    971.4 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: 912smoker
Bought it new. HD may have had some glitch in their pricing as they were letting them go for $250. I'm not sure how to tell the mfg. date. It did do a firmware update as soon as I connected it to wifi.
At 250, I would have one on my patio. Do I need to go to HD every day to get that deal?

Reactions: 912smoker
It was strange. The web and calling in and putting the SKU into the automated phone system returned a price of $497. However, getting a person on the phone and having them check stock and price returned the $250 price. I was afraid at checkout it would ring up at $497 but it rang up at $250. I bought one for me and one for my son.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky