I smoked a Picanha like a Prime Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
I picked up a 2.4 Lb Picanha to throw on the pit but changed my mind and decided to smoke it like a Prime Rib Roast. I had the mix sitting in the cabinet. After most of the fat cap was removed it was covered in olive oil then the mix and left to sit open in the fridge overnight.

2023_smoked_picanha_001.jpg

I placed it in the smoker at 215* along with the cut off fat in a metal bowl. At 110* I covered it with a mix of olive oil, basil and oregano from my back yard and dried. Then I removed it at 132* and poured the rendered fat onto the Picanha. I then let it rest a bit.

2023_smoked_picanha_002.jpg

Beauty shot.

2023_smoked_picanha_003.jpg

A nice plate with rice and beans and some tomatoes from the back yard with a dusting of sea salt.

2023_smoked_picanha_004.jpg

I have to admit, I liked it even better this way than cooked on the pit.

Nice cook Chris! I’m glad you did this because we have a CPB picanha in the freezer and I was consider doing the same thing with it….. now I have a reference point to consider!

I bet if you had cooked it on the pit, you would be saying that one was better than the smoker.
Did it have enough time to absorb much smoke?
And are those leftovers quesadillas? Looks good.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
I bet if you had cooked it on the pit, you would be saying that one was better than the smoker.
Did it have enough time to absorb much smoke?
And are those leftovers quesadillas? Looks good.

I didn't put it in the op but I had a Smoke tube going in the bottom of the smoker. No visible smoke ring but it was a pretty fast cook. It did have a smokey taste. Yes I made a quesadia this morning (no pics) and it was so good I made another for dinner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky