How much brisket needed?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tpc74

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 8, 2012
Berkley, MI
If your going to feed a large group, say 14-16 people, how much brisket is enough? Should I be looking for 16 lb briskets? 2 smaller briskets?

This is a meal that is going to be cooked/eaten start to finish in one day, unless some bad weather chases me away, but it would have to be some really bad weather lol.

A lot depends on sides too. If you figure a pound per person raw meat weight you should be good though. Any other meats? What’s on the menu?

Reactions: JLinza
A 16lb brisket after trim and cook is going to yield enough for 15. I recommend a few lbs of sausage tossed in the pool to ensure leftovers or if there is some wicked heretic there who doesn't like brisket, plus the two go together like biscuits n gravy.

• Love
Reactions: forktender
A 16lb brisket after trim and cook is going to yield enough for 15. I recommend a few lbs of sausage tossed in the pool to ensure leftovers or if there is some wicked heretic there who doesn't like brisket, plus the two go together like biscuits n gravy.
I completely agree with you.
I rather have way too much food than, not enough. Id most likely cook two 10 to 12 lbers, plus some chicken thighs, and sausage.
It's better to have more options for people that don't care for brisket.

Good luck with the meal,@tpc

Dan.

Ok thanks everyone! So its mainly adults. Could be more or less depending on who is there and what time I get the thing started. I believe we will have collard greens, and maybe I'll get the wife to pre-make some mac n cheese or something to have extra. I'll be doing this trackside (NHRA team if anyone follows that kind of thing), and they want me to drag the Deck Boss out there.

Apparently, civilsmoker was such a good coach on my only other brisket attempt with the deck boss, that its been requested I make it again lol. I will need to rely heavily on notes, as I probably won't have a good internet connection, because once everyone shows up to the part of Ohio I will be at, 5G or not, the bandwidth gets so saturated it hardly works.

The only real concern at this point is finding the brisket, and then what time in the morning to get it started. Last time it was 14 lb brisket pre trim, and I started at 3 am, I think we ate around 4, so that's probably around the correct timing again I think. Guessing we will eat later this time, so if it finishes earlier that works out fine.

Reactions: civilsmoker
So I think this is going to be a fun cook! Finally made it to Costco today, and I think they may have had brisket on sale at 3.89/lb but I don’t buy it enough to know.

They didn’t have a lot of choice and the best looking one to me was a 18 lb brisket. I know I’m taking on a challenge lol, but isn’t that the fun in it? I’ll be putting it on as early as my the 12 lb I did last time, but that one was done way before dinner, so I feel like the timing on this will be better.

And I’d like to shout out to civilsmoker civilsmoker to be ready for questions lol but once all the “race fans” show up the 5G turns to mush and usually you can’t get to the internet if you tried. And that’s with a full 5 bars. Rural Ohio..what can I tell ya lol.

I have my notes from before, so fingers crossed this one goes as well as that one did!

PS just a quick tip (not food related but)……turn off your 5G network on your phone and it will save your battery and you will get faster and more reliable connectivity because everyone will be jammed up on the 5G

Reactions: tpc74
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky