How long would it take to thaw a bunch of pork shoulders and ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Khaymanbb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Topeka, KS
We're hosting the annual 4th of July party for our friends and family this year, and I plan on smoking at least six racks of ribs and 3 pork shoulders on the 3rd. However, they are all deep frozen right now. I know it takes about 3 to 4 days to thaw out a single pork shoulder, but with all this frozen meat in the fridge would that cool down the fridge to the point it may end up taking longer? It's a garage upright fridge that is only used mostly for beer, so there wouldn't be any other food items getting ruined by the severe drop in temperature. I'm just worried about putting them in there Thursday and having the temp drop due to 50 lbs of frozen solid food taking too long to thaw, and when I check Tuesday they're still half solid. Also, they are a good 3 to 6 months frozen (great sale so bought lots), so if they do end up thawing out days before I smoke them will they still be good? I've never thawed out this much before at once, so hopefully those that have can give me some advice? Much appreciated all!

Reactions: JLinza and JLeonard
I think I would pull them 5-6 days to thaw, if they thaw a day or two before you smoke them you'll be fine assuming they were fresh when you froze them.

Reactions: BigW. and JLinza
I think I would pull them 5-6 days to thaw, if they thaw a day or two before you smoke them you'll be fine assuming they were fresh when you froze them.
Thanks! They were, I bought them and put them straight into the freezer when we got them home. I was hoping to put them in Tuesday so they'll be in there a full week before I smoke them, but it also worried me about leaving them in the fridge "raw" for a day or three.

Reactions: JLinza and JLeonard
I know it takes about 3 to 4 days to thaw out a single pork shoulder, but with all this frozen meat in the fridge would that cool down the fridge to the point it may end up taking longer?
50 lbs is a lot...though adding it all at once will cause the fridge thermostat to stop cycling the compressor until the chamber temp comes back up to the set point. So at least you won't have the meat AND the fridge working together to delay the thawing.

I don't have a solid answer, but I'd add at least a day to the time you estimate to thaw a single shoulder, and make sure all of the meat is separated in the fridge, to allow air circulation between the packs.

If the meat is well sealed, you can always revert to cycling the packs through a water bath to speed thawing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLinza
And if all else fails, even if they arent completely thawed it will be the center thats still frozen on the butts. I would think unless you injected they would be fine to throw them in the smoker. Just will take a little longer to cook. And I think there is a thread or two on here cooking ribs from frozen...Turned out great from what I remember.

Jim

Reactions: JLinza
Plenty of posts on here about starting the cook from frozen, too. Doesn't take much longer to cook and seems like everyone likes the results.

I've done ribs like that myself and I plan on using the technique more often now. But you do have close to a metric s**t ton of meat there. All that going on at once frozen might not be good.

I think I would pull everything from the freezer Saturday or Sunday. If it's still a tad frozen in the center you should still be good.

All good stuff above, I agree with giving yourself an extra day or so, as that is a lot to thaw at once. But don't see why you couldn't pull it off. I believe USDA says you have 3 to 5 days in the fridge after you thaw, that's for pork and beef. Ground poultry or fish is 1 to 2 days.

how many coolers do you have, if you put them in there they will defrost faster. of cores the fastest is to put them under cold running water, then into your beer fridge.

For occasions like that I usually thaw in coolers of cold water overnight. Those butts would thaw overnight in all likelihood and ribs even faster. I'd do them 2 days ahead of time like that and into fridge for any final thawing needed.

Reactions: mfatty500
You can defrost the ribs easily in a cold water bath. The pork shoulder on the other hand needs to defrost slowly in the fridge. I would put at least the Pork Shoulder in the fridge 5-6 days before you need to start your process (injecting, rub, etc...)

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky