how "hot" are ABT's?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I cut mine in half and clean out the seeds and veins leaving the cap/stem to keep the contents from leaking out. I have found the cap/stem to have some remaining vein material that is hard to get out. If you bite the cap end it may still be very hot while the rest is milder. So if you don't like heat cut off the cap end before eating, if you do like heat, leave some seeds/veins.

My recipe is simple. Fill the peppers almost all the way full with parmesan then cap with cream cheese, dust with a little of my standard rub then wrap with bacon. Finally I dust the top with a non salty rub as putting a salty rub on the bacon makes it too salty for my taste. The last ones I made I used Mrs. Dash as my exterior rub and then a little paprika. I made these for a smoke I did at work recently and they were a big hit. I do a real good clean out when cooking for large numbers of people as they will have varying opinions of what is too hot.

If I handle a lot of habs or other really hot peppers I rinse my hands with rubbing alcohol to get rid of any oil that may be there then follow up with a grease cutter like Dawn to make sure. If I'm working with them for a while I will rinse with the rubbing alcohol every 20 min to half hour as a precaution.

Even if I wore gloves which I don't unless I'm working with the really hot peppers & more than just a few of them (my hands are fairly tough from working with wood & hay) I still do the alcohol wash when I'm done. Side note -  capsaicin molecules are small & can pass through latex gloves. If the oil is on your skin long enough to get absorbed washing will be futile & you will be in for several hours of unpleasantness. Don't be that person
smile.gif

The bette3r you de-seed them and de-vein them the less heat. Sometimes it depends on the pepper also. I've has some that were clean as can be and were still a little warm. Of course I like the heat so I leave some seeds in them. My 16 year old daughter eats them as fast as I'll make them. You'll be hooked! I made 200 for the Alabama champion ship game and th!
I found this too. I've made some that were extremely hot, and others that tasted like a bell pepper all in the same batch.  We love 'em though all the same. I'll even fire up the weber kettle just to make up a few for the wife and I as snacks.

I once had a class where a " Tuff Guy " was working with two pretty ladies. We were working on Caribbean Food and their group was making Authentic Jerk Chicken. I had warned the class, as a whole, to wear gloves and wash frequently with plenty of soap as Capsaicin Oil can irritate and sting even the tough skin of your hands....You see where this is going yet?....

Anyway our resident Tuff Guy comments to the ladies on his team that, " HE can handle it " and " don't need no stinking Gloves! "  I walk by on my rounds and warned him again with just a, "I got this, Chef " response. A short time later I hear...oh, ow, oww, owww, Ouch, AHHHHH, CHEF HELP WHAT DO I DO!!!! AHHHHH... Just as Tuff Guy comes Dancing out of the BATHROOM, Pants around his Ankles and the Family Jewels cupped in his hands!....The Girls and the rest of the class thought it HYSTERICAL!
ROTF.gif

I just shook my head and said, " Soap son, plenty of soap..." I then got the boy with the deflated ego a bag of ice...
hit.gif

Youth is wasted on the Young, silly boys...
biggrin.gif
...JJ

That's funny!  I gave some of my crushed habanero to one of my cousins a few years ago. He took it with him to a pizza shop & used his hand to sprinkle a little on his pizza - no big deal. On his way home at a red light he was tired & rubbed his eyes. He had traffic blocked for 3 cycles of the light till he could see enough to get pulled over. An hour or so later he took a leak & same thing happened to him as your student. He hasn't asked for any more crushed hab since 
biggrin.gif

I also once after handling peppers with bare hands used the bathroom. Even though I washed my hands, it still "lit my fuse"! So do be aware of peppers and bare hands.
The last ABT's I made were stuffed with cream cheese and a little shredded cheddar, topped with half a little beef smoky and wrapped with Wright brand maple sugar bacon. So you got sweet, meat, and heat.

Some have said remove the seeds and membrane/ribs and then let them soak in water and hour or 2. I don't know if it works because I never soaked them, we don't seem to think their are very hot after you smoke them

They are about the same heat as pickled jalapeno slices (like you used to get on nachos). Definately there, but not at all unplesant.

If you have folks who can't do heat just put the same filling in a hallowed out mushroom and wrap that with bacon.... or even chop a jalapeno and mix it in the filling for just a little heat.

Has anyone tried these out with habaneros?
I haven't done habaneros yet but I have used chili peppers and they yield quite a bit more heat than jalapenos. I really like them. Since the chilis are more slender I just make one slice down the side instead of cutting in half. Then open the pepper up and fill with cream cheese to hold it open. I think I feel the need to go make some. Maybe Habaneros this time too. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky