Honey whiskey cider glaze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tamarockstar88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
leominster, MA
I used this glaze on smoked ham the other day and people loved it. The apricot preserves give an amazing shine to the meat. I don't have exact measurements because I was adding as I went along if it needed more spice or sweetness but here's the base so just add more spice or sugar if desired.

1/2 cup apple cider

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup maple syrup

2 Tbs brown sugar

1/2 cup Bushmills Irish honey whiskey ( about a nip and a half - 2 nips)

1/4 cup apricot preserves

1 tsp Clove

Dash - Chinese 5 spice

Dash - Nutmeg

If needed - Cornstarch slurry

On Med High heat make a simple syrup with the water, cider, maple syrup, brown sugar, and apricot preserves. Bring to a low boil until the sugar and apricot are dissolved. Reduce the mixture down and add in the Whiskey, cook for several minutes and then add the spices to your liking if you want it mild or with more spice. It should thicken from the gelatin in the preserves however if it's not thick enough to coat the back of a spoon add some cornstarch slurry ( cornstarch dissolved in water) or more apricot preserves and bring back to a boil for about 5 minutes.

It works wonders on baby backs. I put it on using the 3-2-1 method right before I foil. Can't say enough about it. Can't wait to smoke a Turkey with this glaze.

I used this glaze on smoked ham the other day and people loved it. The apricot preserves give an amazing shine to the meat. I don't have exact measurements because I was adding as I went along if it needed more spice or sweetness but here's the base so just add more spice or sugar if desired.

1/2 cup apple cider

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup maple syrup

2 Tbs brown sugar

1/2 cup Bushmills Irish honey whiskey ( about a nip and a half - 2 nips)

1/4 cup apricot preserves

1 tsp Clove

Dash - Chinese 5 spice

Dash - Nutmeg

If needed - Cornstarch slurry

On Med High heat make a simple syrup with the water, cider, maple syrup, brown sugar, and apricot preserves. Bring to a low boil until the sugar and apricot are dissolved. Reduce the mixture down and add in the Whiskey, cook for several minutes and then add the spices to your liking if you want it mild or with more spice. It should thicken from the gelatin in the preserves however if it's not thick enough to coat the back of a spoon add some cornstarch slurry ( cornstarch dissolved in water) or more apricot preserves and bring back to a boil for about 5 minutes.
Could you provide some more info on that Chinese 5 spice ?  where do you get it, what is it ?

Thank you and the recipe looks really awesome... Looking forward to trying it..

Tony

Yes more info please on the 5-spice. This looks REALLY good. Nice call on the apricot perserves. I know the wonders it can work because my wife has a killer crock pot sweet and sour chicken wing recipe and apircot perserves is the secret ingredient. I'll see if I can get her to cough up the rest. Thanks!

Could you provide some more info on that Chinese 5 spice ?  where do you get it, what is it ?

Thank you and the recipe looks really awesome... Looking forward to trying it..

Tony
Tony, McCormick's has a pretty good 5 Spice Powder or if there is a Chinese market by you you can get the real deal. It is a blend of Cinnamon, Sichuan Peppercorns, Star Anise, Cloves and Fennel Seeds. It has a distinctive Anise forward flavor highlighted by the Cinnamon. A little goes a LONG way, it is a sweet spice but really strong and can blow the sauce away...JJ

Last edited:
Tony, McCormick's has a pretty good 5 Spice Powder or if there is a Chinese market by you you can get the real deal. It is a blend of Cinnamon, Sichuan Peppercorns, Star Anise, Cloves and Fennel Seeds. It has a distinctive Anise forward flavor highlighted by the Cinnamon. A little goes a LONG way, it is a sweet spice but really strong and can blow the sauce away...JJ
Thanks JJ.... as always you come through!

Tony

If you have a Publix....Earth Fare or Fresh Market.....they have it all the time.

The glaze sounds amazing.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky