Half of my venison jerky is gray?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Whatle

Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
South Dakota
First time for 2 things for me.. vertical smoker(used a smoke tube since running low temp) and marinating/ curing with a liquid mix(smokin gun from scheels) well my sliced deer came out good but probably a 1/3 to ¹/2 came out gray instead of dark red like normal!? Same dryness and still tastes good just wondering what couldve happened.. my thoughts was i didnt mix it enuf and not all got cured tho even those pieces were still plenty salty

Reactions: JLeonard
I think you are correct. I bet your cure was not distributed evenly. Beef can look somewhat pale or bland before processing into jerky, so a curing agent is used more for flavor, texture and color. Safety wise, a curing agent will protect you if long, low temperature smoking (or drying) times are used. But usually you are out of the danger zone in an hour or two.

Here is some jerked beef with cure just going in to the dehydrator. And then when it comes out.
eXUW7Ey.jpg
58vFV3j.jpg

Reactions: Whatle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky