Going to do my first bologna chub - slather?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GoMocs1

Original poster
Jun 9, 2024
Going to do a baloney chub soon. Most everybody says to rub it up with mustard first, aka "slather".
I am not big on mustard. Any alternatives to using mustard?
Thanks.

Reactions: JLeonard
Mayo works just fine as well.
I will tell you though. Basic yellow mustard costs a lot less and in the end product you will get zero taste from either one. Not even a little.
Smoked bologna is fantastic. Enjoy!

You won't taste the mustard but. Choose anything wet to make the rub stick. Choose a cool pattern to score 1/2" deep. I use a box cutter.
Cut a fat slab and bloom it!
20221113_173636.jpg

Deep cuts provide more surface area for a rub and cutting the chub into smaller portions provides more end pieces. Here's a good thread...

Reactions: 912smoker
^^^^^^ I follow Jake's directions as above and always comes out perfect!
If you don't like mustard give it a light coat of olive oil, spray butter or even mist with water to help the rub stick. But you won't taste the mustard.

Keith

Smoked bologna is great! I've bloomed it as above. And smoked small slabs for sammichs. Small amount of mustard and lay on the rub. Crunchy slaw and bbq sauce on a bun......Heaven!

Jim

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky