"cleaning smoke" ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

abvignes

Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
I've been reading about the health effects of smoking meats - supposedly there are some possible carcinogens in smoke.

Am not worried enough to stop smoking
icon_biggrin.gif
, but am wondering about ways to lessen the amount of particulates in the smoke that actually makes it to the meat.

I had heard that commercial outfits will pass the smoke over water - I guess the heavy particles fall out and stick to the surface of the water. Has anyone heard of this?

I've even thought of passing the smoke through water - using a fan somewhere in the process, either before of after a water trap.

Thanks!

Speaking for myself, my main concern is over creosite in a smoker cabinet while smoking food in it. I always give the inside cabinet a once over with the naked eye before putting any meat inside it. Keep an eye for heavy rolling smoke... just need/want the thin blue smoke, sometimes you won't see it, but if you can smell it....

How do you recognize the creosite? I certainly have a heavy residue inside my smoking cabinet - which is flaking off in some places. Is that creosite?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky