3am Brekkwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have you thought about Alamo? Or you planning to go somewhere else?

Does Alamo have trout and allow my kind of boat / engine? I just want to get away for a few days and fish with Jan and Bob, we like to troll for trout and aren't real big on jigging or casting for bass all day. The mobile marine repair came today and now everything fires up and is ready to rock. I'm ready to load on my Lance and have thoughts of heading to CA to fish and see old friends. Sounds like you've been pretty darned busy lately, hope your projects are coming along nicely. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
No trout but lots of big fat crappie that you can troll up (average size is 2lbs) We just caught 50+ fish in 3 days 2 weeks ago.

Small jigs with 2"worm and tipped with a minnow (roadrunner/beetle spin). Campground has full hookups (had to get on short notice) and spots with water and electric - easier to find.

I have a ton of the jigs and could drop off some for you if you decide to go.

It is a 3hr drive west of here.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks John! I remember frying up some crappie that I caught about forty years ago, was bony but good white fish. Do you eat them? I'll wait till later next week to decide what we want to do. I've got a beautiful pork belly curing in the fridge that's slated to go on the smoke Monday so I might not be done with processing that until some time Wednesday. I went thru all the pork bellys at our local Costco and found one that goes 13.2 pounds, could be the best maple bacon I've ever made. RAY
DSCN1586.JPG

You're not confusing crappie with carp or you ? Just checkin .

No way Rich! I remember crappie being kind of like bass, a little flatter body, but they fight and are fun to catch, I ate the ones I caught a long time back. Carp eat crap, no good on a dinner plate I'd think. Don't guys fish for carp in a irrigation ditch or canal full of pesticide? RAY

Like I said , just checkin .
. Don't guys fish for carp in a irrigation ditch or canal full of pesticide? RAY
LOL ,,, This old boy I worked with had fished before work . Had 4 or 5 big carp in a cooler .
We got rained out , so sitting in the tavern by 9:30 . About 1:30 he was feelin good , raining so hard the sewers were backing up and flooding the street .
This guy gets a carp out of the cooler , hooks it on a pole , and throws it out in the street .
Starts yelling " I got one ,,, I got one " LOL . should have seen the looks from people driving by ,,,
Ahhh the memories .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Like I said , just checkin .

LOL ,,, This old boy I worked with had fished before work . Had 4 or 5 big carp in a cooler .
We got rained out , so sitting in the tavern by 9:30 . About 1:30 he was feelin good , raining so hard the sewers were backing up and flooding the street . This guy gets a carp out of the cooler , hooks it on a pole , and throws it out in the street . Starts yelling " I got one ,,, I got one " LOL . should have seen the looks from people driving by ,,, Ahhh the memories .

What a great story Rich, love it! I used to love rain-outs but for the fact when I didn't work I didn't get paid. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Ray, I always fillet them. So no bones to mess with.

And these are so big they produce some vice big fillets, not like the ones back east that are more the size of a bluegill and very small fillets.

Anyway let me know.

Reactions: sawhorseray
That sounds nice John, we want to go, probably after this coming week. I'm holding off on smoking my bacon till Tuesday, the bigger belly will require a extra day to cure. I also have to get my fishing rods in order, everything is still quite a mess but the boat not living in the garage now is a start. If you come by when the bacon is done we can make a little trade! RAY

There should be some sausage made by then also John, chicken Italian. Sue will love it, all women like chicken sausage I've found. Me, I like my sausage coming from dead pig meat. RAY

Maybe that's it Rich, who knows. While I don't dislike it, there's just something about using chicken in sausage that tastes kind of strange to me. I've been making this sausage for quite a number of years now and it always gets rave reviews, it's a favorite of my wife. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky