Yet another "is my butt safe"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tolly

Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
I apologize for an obvious rehash here but I need the opinion of some other smokers.  I'm looking for what you guys would do.  I already know which way I'm leaning but it's a very slight lean.

At 11:00pm last night i had my BGE up to 250 (55 degrees outside).  Took an 8lb dry rubbed bone in pork butt out of the fridge, probed, and put it on the grill. Made sure the temperature recovered and went to bed, never checked internal temperature (iGrill mini).  Woke up at 7:00am (outside air temperature dropped to 34 degrees) and the ambient thermometer on my BGE read 100.  My internal meat temp read 140.  Opened up my vents and the fire got back, the coals were still going so I didn't have to actually relight.  As the egg temp got back up to 250, the internal meat temperature dipped to 139 before coming back up to 140 a few minutes later, and above that a few minutes after that.

So I'm assuming that since the egg was around 100 degrees, and the internal temperature of the meat was at 140 and falling, that the meat was above 140 and out of the dangerzone a sufficient amount of time.  The only problem is, I dont know how long it took to get up to the 140 internal temperature?

Again I know you guys have seen alot of these threads, if you can indulge me it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks for the input everyone.  Just had some for lunch.  I'll let you know how it turns out. 

Been eating this every day for lunch.  No issues for me or the wife.  Thanks again for the help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky