Yet another fridge build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Reb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Wellsville PA
With the help of yall here at smf ive decided to upgrade from my mes 30 an build myself an electric fridge smoker. Sourced a 50s (not sure of exact year) fridgidaire fridge local. Bought it primarily because it was made by GM an being a mechanic GM is my brand and always has been with the exception of a few years an models.
My MES was havky used for 7 years an it was time to put her out to pasture. After smoking hams bacon an sausage off atleaat 14 hogs in those 7 years plus numerous butts ribs etc.
So here we go picked her up yesterday an got to work striping old insulation out an replacing with rockwool. Fridge is in great shape barely any rust. I just orded the 1500 watt element thats popular for these along with the auber dual probe pid, also picked on some 1 inch aluminum angle to hold my racks. Ill keep posting as i do more work.
20200301_092432.jpg
20200301_092441.jpg
20200301_140806.jpg
20200301_140809.jpg
20200301_140815.jpg
20200301_153427.jpg

Very cool!! Good luck, definitely following along just for the uniqueness of the build.

GM guy eh? I have a truck issue I’d wonder if you could help me with. Can I shoot you a PM about it?

Fitting a new skin on the inside of the door can present some problems... If you would like a solution to those problems, let me know..... Been there, done that....

Reactions: JC in GB
Got a little bit done today got the box insulated plugged holes in the tub with food grade RTV an got the hole cut in the tub for my element. Pickin up the skin for my door this weekend along with some angle iron to hold my racks and flat stock to make some braces for on tge outside of the tub give my shelving strength. Ill update later this weekend wanna get this bad boy done i have a ham to smoke yet in about a week and im outta sticks need i say more lol.
Still lookin at how im goin to do my racks probably do expanded steel but not quite sure yet.
20200305_181415.jpg
20200305_182300.jpg
20200305_185719.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky