Wrapping Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SJWinter

Original poster
Feb 8, 2020
Hey, I'm very new to all this and have a question that I couldnt find a close enough answer to.

I'm smoking a brisket, only my second, and I wanted to wrap it at 165 degrees. Unfortunately it got to temp earlier than I expected and I didnt wrap it until 177 degrees. Im letting it go to 200, will the wrap time matter?

Hey, I'm very new to all this and have a question that I couldnt find a close enough answer to.

I'm smoking a brisket, only my second, and I wanted to wrap it at 165 degrees. Unfortunately it got to temp earlier than I expected and I didnt wrap it until 177 degrees. Im letting it go to 200, will the wrap time matter?

That won't matter much, I don't wrap my briskets at all. But since your wrapping yours, it will be fine wrapped at 177. I would start checking it for probe tenderness at 195. Sometimes they don't get tender until 205-210, but other times they are done at 195. Each brisket is different.
Al

That won't matter much, I don't wrap my briskets at all. But since your wrapping yours, it will be fine wrapped at 177. I would start checking it for probe tenderness at 195. Sometimes they don't get tender until 205-210, but other times they are done at 195. Each brisket is different.
Al
Thank you, that's great. I was a little worried. I know I'm going to get the stall soon so I may get my head down for a couple hours as it's just coming up for 5am. The first one I did stalled forever about 189.

Thank you, that's great. I was a little worried. I know I'm going to get the stall soon so I may get my head down for a couple hours as it's just coming up for 5am. The first one I did stalled forever about 189.

That is a little strange, cause they usually stall around 165-170. But then I smoke mine at 270-280 & there is usually no stall at those temps.
Al

Like Al said make sure you check the finish by tenderness over exact finish temp. Prove shoukd slide in like it’s going in hot butter. I also like to put my finished wrapped brisket in a cooler stuffed with towels for an hour after it finishes prior to slicing.

Im with Al - 100% dont sweat it. I dont wrap either, but i dont think the wrap temp is all that precise enough to matter.

Reactions: SJWinter
Good advice from Al. Don't get all caught up in the stall, Temps very, and it doesn't matter.
I have posted a lot of info on Briskets
At the bottom of this post click on "CLICK HERE"

Gary

I just put one on the weber . I'll wrap at some point later tonight and finish in the oven . It'll be ready when I am for Sunday supper .
This is my third one , and after the first ( and all the help and info I got ) this is the most fun , stress free cook I do . Enjoy .

Just came out, took it out at 197 as the probe went through really easy. 3hrs in the cooler now. I'll post pics later

Attachments

• 20200208_094011.jpg
    20200208_094011.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: chopsaw
I forgot to post pre slicing but it went down well with guests

Attachments

• 20200208_181003.jpg
    20200208_181003.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 21
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky