Would this work

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigpuddin43

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Central Kentucky
I have something in mind for a few years from now when me and the wife build our dream house.  I am wanting to make a smoker/grill.  What I was thinking is building a verical smoker with bricks and having a lower compartment for coals/wood.  Then above that have a drawer that would make a water pan then up at the top there would be a grate(much like any vertical smoker but could you not under that grate install propane burners like they have on gas grills.  then of course you would have a lid that folds up similar to a gas grill.  Would this work?  Just got to thinking the other day and I cant see where there would be a problem. 

Big, morning....  The thing I found with brick smokers is.... thermal mass takes a lot of wood to heat up.... by the time you get them warm and ready to smoke stuff, you would have been done smoking and eating....  I built a 4x4x10 out of concrete block... poured in place roof to hang meat... It worked very well but took 12 hours to heat up and remove the moisture from the concrete...  bricks may not absorb as much moisture as concrete but it has more thermal mass and would take longer to heat up..... Just my opinion....

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky