Would love some advice for my current smoke session.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

m3fizzle

Original poster
May 2, 2022
I have a verticle gas smoker that I use wood chunks for, I am smoking Beef Ribs (thick boys) and a beef brisket, I got them to have a great bark and then wrapped them in butcher paper. I wrapped the brisket at 165-175 degrees and wrapped the beef ribs at 180 degrees. Once I put them back in the smoker I realize that my gas ran out right when I wrapped them, they both cooled down to around 170 and I have moved them into my oven at 250-265 degrees.

These Beef ribs were kind of skimpy and didn't have much meat, had them on the smoker for over 10 hours and still wont hit 200-205. Now I have them in the oven and they are wrapped and cooking.

Do I just keep probing them until around 200-205 internal and do the tenderness test? kind of worried now since its going on 12 hours from beginning of cook time. Only about 20-30 minutes with no heat after the wrap.

Side note: lost some of the flats bark because my beef rib was dripping down on it, very worried that my flat is going to come out dry and tough.

Do I measure temp from flat and point or what should I pull it at flat or point wise.

Thank you in advance

-Mike

On the brisket , cook until probe tender in the flat. The point will be fine..I usually start probing for tenderness around 195. But I've had them take until 205...Also when u pull it , let it sit uncovered to cool down some (170-180) and then wrap and put in cooler to rest for at least an hour ( longer is better).. Ladt week I forgot to let one cool down before wrapping and putting in the cooler to rest..So it continued to cook and got overdone..good luck 👍👍

Reactions: tallbm
I have a verticle gas smoker that I use wood chunks for, I am smoking Beef Ribs (thick boys) and a beef brisket, I got them to have a great bark and then wrapped them in butcher paper. I wrapped the brisket at 165-175 degrees and wrapped the beef ribs at 180 degrees. Once I put them back in the smoker I realize that my gas ran out right when I wrapped them, they both cooled down to around 170 and I have moved them into my oven at 250-265 degrees.

These Beef ribs were kind of skimpy and didn't have much meat, had them on the smoker for over 10 hours and still wont hit 200-205. Now I have them in the oven and they are wrapped and cooking.

Do I just keep probing them until around 200-205 internal and do the tenderness test? kind of worried now since its going on 12 hours from beginning of cook time. Only about 20-30 minutes with no heat after the wrap.

Side note: lost some of the flats bark because my beef rib was dripping down on it, very worried that my flat is going to come out dry and tough.

Do I measure temp from flat and point or what should I pull it at flat or point wise.

Thank you in advance

-Mike
Hi there and welcome Mike!

I believe jaxgatorz jaxgatorz has you covered.

The key is measure brisket temp in the thickest yet center most part of the FLAT muscle.
Then check for tenderness ALL OVER by stabbing with something like a kabob skewer and if it goes in with no resistance ALL OVER then it is tender.
If there is a spot (usually thickest center most spot of the FLAT) that is not probing tender, let the Internal Temp (IT) of the meat rise a couple of degrees and check for tenderness again.

As for ribs, if they are not plate or chuck then they are likely back ribs which dont have much meat.
I would keep checking for tenderness on them around an IT of 200F. I also check my brisket at 200F unless its a Prime brisket.

The main thing is that it is done when it is tender all over and not before :)

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Note for next time: run with a two gas cylinder system. When you replace one, take the empty and get it filled the next day. You'll never be without gas which is the goal!

Reactions: tallbm
On the brisket , cook until probe tender in the flat. The point will be fine..I usually start probing for tenderness around 195. But I've had them take until 205...Also when u pull it , let it sit uncovered to cool down some (170-180) and then wrap and put in cooler to rest for at least an hour ( longer is better).. Ladt week I forgot to let one cool down before wrapping and putting in the cooler to rest..So it continued to cook and got overdone..good luck 👍👍
In a pinch, trying to salvage a piece of meat from being dry try putting the piece of meat in a pressure cooker for about 20 minutes on high temperature. When done cooking turn the pressure cooker off if it's electric then let it sit there until the pressure reduces naturally without manually letting out steam through the lid.. that will save you from chewing on a piece of shoe leather.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky