Worth Upgrading a Kamado Joe III?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

onlypurch

Original poster
Jun 18, 2023
I've been pretty happy with my Kamado Joe III. I started looking around at offset smokers. Now I'm wondering if it makes sense to "upgrade" from a Kamado Joe? I've enjoyed doing ribs and pork shoulders in the Kamado. But I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a true smoker experience since I've never used a offset smoker.

Has anyone upgraded from a Kamado? What did you miss? What was better?

I have a BGE and a Horizon offset. The BGE is a set it and forget it tool for me. It holds a consistent temperature without the need to tend it. It also works better in certain weather conditions if I need to get something smoked. The offset is my go-to because I enjoy the process of tending a fire to smoke meat. I prefer the flavor of food cooked with wood over charcoal and I can do more volume.

I have a KJ Big Joe III. I also own two Lone Star Grillz stick burner pits; a 20x42 offset and a 24x48 Adjustable Grill and Smoker (AGS).

I use the Big Joe and the AGS more than the offset. I do enjoy the offset occasionally but it requires a lot of fire tending to run it properly. That is fun when you have the time but I find it rare that I choose to do that.

If I could own only one grill, it would be an XXL kamado. I've owned BGE and my son has a Primo. The Big Joe's real estate and accessories pulled me over. I have the rotisserie for it and use it fairly often.

If I could only own two pits, it would be the Lone Star AGS and the Big Joe. The AGS is the Swiss Army Knife of pits.

I own other pits as well. At my house, the Big Joe III gets the most play time of the crowd.

So back to your question of upgrade, I would consider it an "add" to your arsenal. BTW, I would consider some of the sheet metal offsets a downgrade compared to the Big Joe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky