Wood for bacon, hickory, pecan or apple

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atcnick

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Longview, Texas
I've got a pork belly curing in Pops cure in the fridge.  Im trying to decide what would or combination of wood to use.   I have a bunch of pecan and hickory wood and can get some apple chunks and logs.  Any suggestions?

Also,  on a side note.  My pork belly has been curing for a day in the fridge.  My wife just got back from church and noticed the power was out in the garage and my curing fridge was in the upper 50's and I had her stick a thermapen in the brine and it was 47F.    It's about 65F outside, and they bellies are brining in about a gallon and a half sized containers.    Should I keep going or toss it?

I've never had pecan smoked bacon...wonder what that would taste like?  Good I bet.

I like both hickory and apple and would try a combo!!

How long has the temp been above 40 degrees?  If less than 4 hours get some ice and put in the brine.  That should help.  If more than four hours....toss it!

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

Last edited:
I've never had pecan smoked bacon...wonder what that would taste like?  Good I bet.

I like both hickory and apple and would try a combo!!

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill
No pecan trees up there???

Craig

I usually smoke with Pecan and or Hickory........My last batch, I used Apple wood.....I was not impressed as with Hickory or Pecan......But that was just my opinion........As far as the temp goes, I would refer back to the 4 hour rule myself.....If you are going to ice it down put the ice in a zip top bag to prevent dilution of your wet cure......ShoneyBoy

Plenty Craig...just haven't tried it with bacon....you?
Have two pecan trees in the yard...

Use it for most everything...

I think there should be a smoke detector test at one of the gatherings...

5 judges and 5 or 6 types of wood same meat or abts ..see who can identify which is which...

I would bet that it would show that not many people know what wood is providing the flavor..

Craig

5 judges and 5 or 6 types of wood same meat or abts ..see who can identify which is which...

I would bet that it would show that not many people know what wood is providing the flavor..

Craig
Interesting!

Craig
Had an uncle from Mississippi that was a smoker all his life and whom I learned from and he said the same thing.....he, and every other pitmaster he knew, could identify hickory smoke and sometimes oak. That was it. When I used to visit before he passed we would go to some backroad bbq joints that had pitmasters that had been there forever and they would say the same thing. I get a charge out of those that first use one wood then "layer" on a second smoke flavor and tell you what it is. Have them try that with someone elses cook and I guarantee they can't tell. .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky