Won 3rd place at local chili cook off this weekend

Discussion in 'SMF News' started by smokinal, Feb 24, 2011.

1. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

We took our chili recipe & toned it down because we thought it was to spicy for a competition. We were wrong, we toned it down too much. The chili that won was spicier than ours. I think if we had made it a little more spicy we could have won. Well we'll work on it for next years competition. But since this was our first try we were happy with 3rd place. We used ground chuck, hot Italian sausage, & bacon for the meat part. The thing we did different than all the other competitors was we smoked the ground chuck & sausage before adding it to the chili. It really gave it a great flavor.Here's the recipe. The ingredients in red at the end are from the original recipe & if you want to add some heat just add any or all of them.

Al’s chili cook off recipe

List #1

2 lbs. ground chuck 80/20

2 lbs. hot Italian sausage links

1 lb. thick cut bacon

List #2

1 lg. sweet onion

3 green onions

1 green pepper

1 red pepper

1 orange pepper

1 yellow pepper

2 jalapeno peppers

4 stalks celery

5 cloves garlic

8 oz. mushrooms

List #3

2# tomato sauce

2# diced tomato’s

1 pkg. chili seasoning ( I use French’s )

2 tbs chili powder

2 tsp cumin

¼ tsp worcestershire

2/3 tsp oregano

2/3 cu beef stock

Fry bacon until crisp. Save bacon grease.

Form 4 burgers with the 2# of ground chuck.

Put burgers & sausage links in smoker, smoke burgers about 1 ½ hours, and sausage about 2 hours @ 220. I put them in the smoker cold when I first light it up. If you let the smoker get to temp first then put meat in I would take a half hour off smoke time.

Chop bacon & burgers up into small bite size pieces, remove sausage casing & chop sausage into bite size pieces too.

Chop or dice all ingredients in list #2

Put ingredients in list #3, in large pot on med. heat, also add saved bacon grease

Add ingredient list #2 to pot.

Put burgers & sausage in smoker the same time you start cooking the other ingredients in the pot.

When done smoking and after chopping up, add burger meat, sausage, and bacon to pot.

Total cook time 4 hours, so meat will only be in pot 2 hours. Cool & refrigerate overnight. Reheat the next day. Enjoy!

The original calls for:

3 jalapeno's with seeds

1 1/2 to 2 packages of chili seasoning

5 tbs chili powder

1 tsp tabasco

2/3 tsp cayenne

Here's a photo of the ingredients.

[​IMG]

Here's the meat all cut up ready to go in.

[​IMG]

Here's the finished chili.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    cowgirl and gotarace like this.
  2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Congrats that's great for a first competition [​IMG]

I'd be interested in both the spicy and less spicy versions I'll send ya a PM

3. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Yaaaaa!!

Congrats Al!!

Looks delicious!

Craig

4. Looks great.  How much time did they give you before judging?  Were you allowed to prep anything ahead of time or did you have to do it all on site?

5. smokinal

We were allowed to prepare it at home, then just bring it to the comp & reheat it. We made it the day before, so it would sit in the fridge overnight. It's always better the next day.

6. redneck69

redneck69 Smoking Fanatic

Congrats!! that looks like some tasty chili!

7. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Thanks for the recipe Al

8. Congrats Al.  You gave me a great Idea for some leftover pulled pork I have sitting in the freezer.  You gotta love this place...

9. smokinal

Thanks Smoke, when you get your recipe together be sure to share it with us.

10. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks fantastic Al!! Congratulations!

11. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great Al....think you was robbed by the judges. I was wondering how you did in this....thx for the update

12. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Congrats Al.... man that chili looks great

13. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Really looks great Al, and third place isn't too bad, plus you get to eat the rest of your Chile---Wish I could help!

Bear

14. smokinal

We didn't get to eat it, we had to pass it out in small sample cups. All the contestants gave away all their chili. It was fun though, cause everyone thought our chili was awesome.

15. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Congrats Al. That looks delicious!

16. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Yes sir that looks like some right awesome looking chili there Al. Can I have some too. I just live up the road a piece.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  17. smokinal

Thanks for all the kind remarks, I really appreciate it. I hope all of you who requested the recipe enjoy the chili as much as we did.

18. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I got the recipe. Thanks Al.

I may make it tomorrow, that way I'll have some to take to work during the week!

19. Excellent looking chili Al...Sometimes it's nice to get complements from a group of people. At least you got to try all the competitions chili and had fun doing it.

20. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great.  I would be interested in the spicy recipe myself.  Congrats!