Will this controller work on my MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I can't tell what the wattage of that unit is. I bought this one for my 1200 watt smokey hollow (similar to MES) and it works great. I only bought it a few weeks ago, Amazon shows it currently unavailable but there are others similar.

It says 20 amps and goes to 302*. It has a proportional range from 1-20 which is the temp and it's relationship to the set temp. I run my Mes Gen 1 40 in Proportional mode on my Auber PID with it at 1 so at one degree below set temp it's 100% power 120vac then 1/2 degree below set point it flashes 120vac for 50% power to hold within a couple degrees. Even if it isn't the same holding result within two degrees you can play with it and set back to default and the sensor near your food will be better than the one on the back wall.

I can't tell what the wattage of that unit is. I bought this one for my 1200 watt smokey hollow (similar to MES) and it works great. I only bought it a few weeks ago, Amazon shows it currently unavailable but there are others similar.

This one is not available now and no news if it will be. It seems like a good unit I recommended to a person on FB that got it.

Trying to avoid spending big money on a controller that will do much more than I will ever do with it... will this basic controller work?

Dwyer Temperature Controller

I've used Dwyer controllers in the past. They are made well. That looks like a good unit. Good for 20 amps and 302 degrees. They say there is 5 left in stock. If I was looking for a controller. I'd jump on it.

Of course that one isn't currently available...what wattage do I need to be looking for?
My smokey Hollow is 1200 watts, so based on Steve H Steve H recommendation I went with this 1500 watt controller. You need to look at your smoker to see the wattage of the element and I would buy the next step higher wattage controller.

My smokey Hollow is 1200 watts, so based on Steve H Steve H recommendation I went with this 1500 watt controller. You need to look at your smoker to see the wattage of the element and I would buy the next step higher wattage controller.

Yup, that is a good controller. The other one is good for 20 amps. 2400 watts. Pretty beefy unit. Though most home smokers won't need that much current at 120vac.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky