Why Reinvent the Wheel?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shooterrick

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 13, 2008
South Louisiana
Man I hate this expression!  If we all subscibed to this philosophy I would have wood rims on my F150!  Yes we all borrow from one and other but lets face it.  Many of us with a bit of experience under their belt (247 lbs) under mine, love the fun of developing our own recipes and techniques.  Even failure is a learning lesson.  I like trying to "Build a Better Mouse Trap"! 

I have tossed many recipes out for general consumption on SMF and hope ya all have enjoyed a few of them.  My all means feel free to change them to suit your own tastes.  Have fun! 

I like your mouse traps pretty much the way they are!!!

And you got me beat by 6 pounds!  
biggrin.gif

Bear

I think the reason we all keep coming back here is we love to share our recipes & techniques with each other freely.

I love to twist a recipe I find to my taste and then see someone else take it to the next level. 
nana2.gif
That's one of the reasons I joined. 
icon14.gif

Rick,that's part of the beauty of this forum,read ,compare, revise, try and submit to the forum for comments. Imagination, the producer of all the good stuff we enjoy now.
biggrin.gif

Keep trying to build a better Mouse trap,and keep us drooling
drool.gif
. You are the man
yahoo.gif

Have fun and...............

Actually these are the things I love about the internet, as a whole, and SMF is a great outlet for perfecting our product, by getting help from a lot of smokers.

When I first started chainsaw carving bears, I joined a carving forum that had a lot of Pros (guys who competed in international comps). They helped me get the right saws, chains, sprockets, chaps, etc, etc. Then I would carve a Bear & post it. They would say things like, a little too tall for girth, Grizzlies should be slightly pigeon toed, give it a little more pronounced jaw, & spread the ears slightly more, cut some "Vs" in hair under the chin to show folds in fur. Then I would do those things in the next Bear, and the next, and keep posting until I was happy, and the Pros would say---I wouldn't change a thing. 

Carving was easier to help people with than smoking meat, because you don't have to taste the carvings to know how good it is!

Like that forum, there are a lot of great people on this one!

My 2¢

Bear

All the above (well, except for the wood carving, though I find that quite interesting) plus, most who've watched my progress on this site must wonder what modification is next on my smoking equipment.   It's just my thing I guess.  What I really like about this site is the willingness of all the old hands and many of the experienced new people to help you get to your smoking goals.  You certainly don't find that on certain other sites.  Reinvent?????  The failure to do so inhibits progress.

We have a great forum here and Shooter is a great example of why that is.  I have used his recipes with great success and with few modifications.

Good luck and good smoking.

Ditto, I love it when someone takes something I posted and throws a twist into it, and many times they'll throw some kudos...its a nice feeling.

I live by the belief that, "A recipe is only a suggestion"

Guys i love to be  here. there are  great threads  and  it gives me  ideas to do something out of it. however i give recognition to the owner of the thread . thanks to you all

Ditto, I love it when someone takes something I posted and throws a twist into it, and many times they'll throw some kudos...its a nice feeling.

I live by the belief that, "A recipe is only a suggestion"
Exactly, the kudos are nice but not required in my book. 
beercheer.gif
 I eat to live but not live to eat. 

Rick

I have to tell you that your recipies have spurred me on to expand my craft and be a much better smoker. I know that you and Sandy both know how much I love your chicken rub and I always enjoy the great posts and support you have given so freely here.

Thank you for your geat contributions

I have been a Pro Chef for years and I have learned more about Smoking HERE in 4 months than all my years combined. I have many Hand written note books of Recipes I have produced and page after page Crossed off because of updates and Improvements! Maybe someday I'll be satisfied...JJ

JJ,if you go and get satisfied with something,you are going ruin my belief that Chefs are the most imaginative people around;look at this forum,20 ways to cook a Chicken Leg.....\

I was a Chef for a while too,and talked my employers into more add-on to the menu than I can remember
biggrin.gif
. That said, I was raised in Texas and re-moved to oihO, while working in a Bar/Restaurant , I asked the Mgr. If I could have Wednesday for myself(only cook,6a to 10p). I made it Mexican Day and had the whole of down town Genoa(small,but I had 16 regulars). I served My recipe for Fajitas and Enchilladas,Tamales,Tostados,Flautas,and lots more... Wed. thrned out to be Jett's best day.

That was when my get-up would go.... now I can go,just push me
biggrin.gif

My head blew - up 
th_violent5.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky