Why doesnt minion method make food taste bad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ronaldo Rivera

Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
Im new to smoking so this is probably a dumb question but how come the minion method doesnt leave the meat tasting bad? Whenever I light new charcoal in the chimney there is dark smoke for a couple of minutes so would the same thing happen when the new charcoal is being lit when already in the grill?

I have seen a lot of people use the minion method so I'm sure it works fine but im wondering how the meat doesnt taste bitter from the new charcoal smoke.

My understanding is the bad smoke happens when the coals are moving from cold to hot, like during start up. In a chimney, all the coals are going from cold to hot at the same time. Once they reach combustion temps the heavy smoke is gone.

Using the minion method, the coals are all being preheated in your kettle. When it’s their turn to burn they’re already hot enough to not produce the acrid smoke. When you watch folks with offset stick burners they’ll typically keep their active fire on one side of the box. On the opposite side they’ll heat their next split. When it comes time to use that split and they put it on the coals it instantly combusts creating little smoke. Throw a cold split in there and you’ll see the heavier smoke.

I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night so I hope that made sense.

I am not sure of the science but I agree with the Sven Svensson Sven Svensson explanation here.

my old pit, which was a hijack73 cinderblock design, needed very small fires to maintain. If I ever added lump or bricks to help it catch back up when I mucked up my coal bed, I always heated them up in a chimney on my grills side burner. I wouldn't necessarily ignite them all the way, but a couple of minutes on that flame really cut down on the unpleasant smelling smoke charcoal tends to give off for a couple of minutes while it heats up.

My understanding is the bad smoke happens when the coals are moving from cold to hot, like during start up. In a chimney, all the coals are going from cold to hot at the same time. Once they reach combustion temps the heavy smoke is gone.

Using the minion method, the coals are all being preheated in your kettle. When it’s their turn to burn they’re already hot enough to not produce the acrid smoke. When you watch folks with offset stick burners they’ll typically keep their active fire on one side of the box. On the opposite side they’ll heat their next split. When it comes time to use that split and they put it on the coals it instantly combusts creating little smoke. Throw a cold split in there and you’ll see the heavier smoke.

I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night so I hope that made sense.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Have you tried it with lumpwood and briquettes? If so does one work better than the other?

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Have you tried it with lumpwood and briquettes? If so does one work better than the other?
I use lump all the time. You can’t “minion” lump but you can lay down a bed and just light one corner and let it spread. I do that in my PK Grill all the time when I want to turn it into a low-n-slow smoker. I like it much better than briquettes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky