Whole Hog Cut Options

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i buy em this then you can decide how thick the chops are or not, and do some this or that.. iv'e butchered on farm and lotsa hunting .. its not hard and funView attachment 444233View attachment 444234i was a builder so i have an extra sawz-all thats easy to clean and sanitize and selection of blades.. you dont need one just depends on cuts.. my ban saw is not for meat. if ya have a local sams club they sell these two to a carton or can buy one..
Do a Google search for "9 Inch Stainless Steel Reciprocating Saw Blade for Meat". Amazon has a 5-pack for $30, I'm sure other places sell them too. So, they are out there. I use a folding meat saw and only use it to go through bone. I cut meat with a knife, break out the saw for a few strokes, then back to the blade.

EDIT - I guess there is a 12" long blade too.

Last edited:
Speaking of processing your own. Here is a picture I have that I plan to have blown up bigger and touched up . This would be my .. Great, Great grandfather , his brother, brother in law and the guy off to the right is one of the farm hands. Those sure aren't the lean market hogs we have today!
0512191844.jpg

i buy em this then you can decide how thick the chops are or not, and do some this or that.. iv'e butchered on farm and lotsa hunting .. its not hard and funView attachment 444233View attachment 444234i was a builder so i have an extra sawz-all thats easy to clean and sanitize and selection of blades.. you dont need one just depends on cuts.. my ban saw is not for meat. if ya have a local sams club they sell these two to a carton or can buy one..
Yup , cutting up deer for the last 12 years gives you the idea of what to do . Gets easier each time .

Yeah a sawzall does the trick well. In a pinch i use my handy tree loppers to cut through anything i need to but it does not make a clean cut hahhaa.
With deer I dont keep the ribs cause im shooting 90-100lbs does and spikes max and the ribs and neck have no real meat for a human so they go to the dogs . Not keeping ribs means I can process a deer without a saw at all. I don't break the pelvis and the trust tree limb loppers handle shank cuts and neck/spine cuts where needed. All other cuts remove cleanly where all that is left is ribs, neck, and pelvis attached. I'm pretty efficient with it. Oh I remove the backstrap and tenderloins they dont stay with the caracass.

With feral pigs I keep the ribs so if no sawzall and no saw it gets the tree limb lopper hatchet job. With good size eating pigs they usually arent over 150lbs so they dont have enough bone thickness to cause any problems. The bit 275lbs+ monsters are a different story.

Yeah a sawzall does the trick well. In a pinch i use my handy tree loppers to cut through anything i need to but it does not make a clean cut hahhaa.
With deer I dont keep the ribs cause im shooting 90-100lbs does and spikes max and the ribs and neck have no real meat for a human so they go to the dogs . Not keeping ribs means I can process a deer without a saw at all. I don't break the pelvis and the trust tree limb loppers handle shank cuts and neck/spine cuts where needed. All other cuts remove cleanly where all that is left is ribs, neck, and pelvis attached. I'm pretty efficient with it. Oh I remove the backstrap and tenderloins they dont stay with the caracass.

With feral pigs I keep the ribs so if no sawzall and no saw it gets the tree limb lopper hatchet job. With good size eating pigs they usually arent over 150lbs so they dont have enough bone thickness to cause any problems. The bit 275lbs+ monsters are a different story.
Good points, someone asked me why don't I have a deer hunter do it for me. I've never processed on my own, but I've helped my cousin a few times.
I had to explain that a market hog is twice the meat of a deer, and the precision of butchery is completely different. When we do a deer, 90% goes to sausage and burger, so we can hack it away from the bone like savages lol
Not so for good pork cuts.
It's definitely still something people do at home and something I aspire to, and know I can handle with proper research.
I know also that people who process themselves tend to be convinced that many commercial outfits are ripping people off regularly. Not giving all the bacon and trim, switching in cuts from other animals, etc.
If I raise my own heritage pig, I want to finish the process through to the end.

SmokinGumby SmokinGumby Ohio too Sandusky...

Lots of folks order pork and beef 1/2 and 1/4 here but I never have. Would like to someday but when I research I find it weird. No ribs and all sorts of other odd stuff. The guys here use really old farmer type names for stuff too. Can you ask for fatback when doing this?

SmokinGumby SmokinGumby Ohio too Sandusky...

Lots of folks order pork and beef 1/2 and 1/4 here but I never have. Would like to someday but when I research I find it weird. No ribs and all sorts of other odd stuff. The guys here use really old farmer type names for stuff too. Can you ask for fatback when doing this?
You should be able to get whatever you want, if they want your business lol
Establishing a relationship helps, I'm sure. This is my first time, but they were super helpful. I'm nothing close to an expert, but I've done a fair bit of internet researching and your welcome to pose any questions in this thread, of course.
I am dealing with Kiko's in Minerva, OH and they have been awesome. The cut-sheet order form is just a starting point, when I called to get more detailed they certainly seemed like they'd do whatever I wanted with that carcass.

Totally agree on that it is a relationship thing. I might need to investigate further but most times I look into doing it is when a friend tells me someone bailed on a deal and do I want in. There is no cut list and I think I am basically dealing directly with the farmer raising. I think you kinda get what you get. Not saying shady but just seems off. I should probably start off with a reputable butcher but around here most people say that they don't save money that way. I would totally do beef and pork sides if I can get what I want. IE Do you actually get a beef loin and rib roast when doing a side? Don't think that happens here.

Fatback is for sausage making.

Weird in what way ? ( never mind , saw your post ) It can be confusing first go round . I used to get a half or whole hog every year , but the price got so low the small guys I used to buy from stopped selling them .

Some cuts will rule out others . Dealing with the farmer is the best way . They will take it to get processed , you tell the the processor how you want it cut .
One year I got a hog from a guy I helped build a house for . I told his Dad , just get mine cut like you get yours . That fella eats the HOTTEST pork sausage known to man kind .
Anyway , I got everything but the oink which was not normal for me . Lard , feet , head , hocks , all things I never asked for someone else kept or they used some in sausage . It was my mistake , but I don't want the head anyway .
It all comes from knowing the people , and them knowing you and what you like . It's the best way to go for value and quality , unless you can raise your own .

Reactions: zwiller
Take some time and watch this. Its very informative and should help you decide what cuts you want. It's a little long but its worth watching the whole video

This is an excellent video to learn cuts of pork! This guy is a PhD at U of Kentucky. He has other videos as well. Very informative. I used this video to cut up my hog.

Totally agree on that it is a relationship thing. I might need to investigate further but most times I look into doing it is when a friend tells me someone bailed on a deal and do I want in. There is no cut list and I think I am basically dealing directly with the farmer raising. I think you kinda get what you get. Not saying shady but just seems off. I should probably start off with a reputable butcher but around here most people say that they don't save money that way. I would totally do beef and pork sides if I can get what I want. IE Do you actually get a beef loin and rib roast when doing a side? Don't think that happens here.

Fatback is for sausage making.
I don't know for sure, but I would assume they use the fatback in the sausage/ground pork they make from the trim. I am guessing that if you asked a butcher they would provide the trim and fatback separate for your own sausage making.

I will definitely post a cost breakdown once I get the information. I'm quoted at $1.49/lb (hanging weight) and about $50-75 in smoking/curing/sausage fees. Assuming I am not missing any pieces of the puzzle, that should at least match grocery store prices, and the quality/ethics will surely outmatch CAFO raised pork.

Thanks Rich. I really like that idea of "I'll take mine like you take yours". I totally get they don't want to hand hold a city boy through it. I know quite a few folks so I have that going for me. My father in laws neighbor raises angus... I just never pulled the trigger. Yeah, a head might be over the top but heck yeah, fatback, hocks, some green hams, liver, belly are all fair game. What kind of freezer space we talking here?

Here is another great video on breaking down a hog.

I just watched that today!
To me, this looks like the easy part. Skinning, eviscerating, and breaking it down seem to be the hard parts. I watched a video of a slaughtering and immediate processing, but they didn't give it any hanging/aging time and it looked like a very different process.

Thanks Rich. I really like that idea of "I'll take mine like you take yours". I totally get they don't want to hand hold a city boy through it. I know quite a few folks so I have that going for me. My father in laws neighbor raises angus... I just never pulled the trigger. Yeah, a head might be over the top but heck yeah, fatback, hocks, some green hams, liver, belly are all fair game. What kind of freezer space we talking here?
5-6 cubic feet for a whole hog. I passed on the liver, we aren't organ meat fans, but I did get a green ham and I'm excited for that, never cooked or eaten a green ham. Might have had some off a whole hog roast, but wouldn't have known it.

5-6 cubic feet for a whole hog. I passed on the liver, we aren't organ meat fans, but I did get a green ham and I'm excited for that, never cooked or eaten a green ham. Might have had some off a whole hog roast, but wouldn't have known it.
Thanks. Liver is doable for use in sausage. IE braunschweiger. Green/country/fresh ham is ham that has not yet been cured or smoked. I do this all the time for loins etc just never used the actual legit part. All of this is got me fired up. How many pounds of acorns does the average hog eat? :emoji_laughing:

Good points, someone asked me why don't I have a deer hunter do it for me. I've never processed on my own, but I've helped my cousin a few times.
I had to explain that a market hog is twice the meat of a deer, and the precision of butchery is completely different. When we do a deer, 90% goes to sausage and burger, so we can hack it away from the bone like savages lol
Not so for good pork cuts.
It's definitely still something people do at home and something I aspire to, and know I can handle with proper research.
I know also that people who process themselves tend to be convinced that many commercial outfits are ripping people off regularly. Not giving all the bacon and trim, switching in cuts from other animals, etc.
If I raise my own heritage pig, I want to finish the process through to the end.

Here is a post I did a long while back that shows phenomenally how to break down a deer once dressed and skinned. The same applies to a pig for the most part.

If you watch this guy you see there is no magic to it. Now there is no equivalent on a deer for cutting bacon but honestly its just removing the rib portion from the belly portion and viola what is not left on the ribs is now bacon. I know its easy for me to say since I've processed many animals but its honestly not to complex once u watch those processing videos in my post above.

The odd things to think of when processing a farm raised scraped and scalled pig is what to do with fat (fatback), organs, head, bones, and skin.... yep the skin can be turned into soft or hard pork rinds if u want! U can also take skin and render + cook/smoke it real hard so there is no grease left and give it to dogs as treats.... just make sure it doesn't give em digestive fits that you then have to clean up lol.

Save all the good fat for sausage making or for making lard if u want to render it down and use lard for any cooking or frying needs. I have ground up the fat so it was ready for mixing with lean ground wild game meat to speed things up when I make wild game sausage (deer or hog, feral hogs are often lean). I grind my wild game with no added fat so I can make ground jerky, lean burger grind, or mix with ground fat for sausage and sandwich meat smokes... 100% flexibility :)

If you are into making stock then u can save the bones and produce a ton of stock (i dont have time for this).

If you have the head, find an old Mexican woman that makes decent tamales (hard to find decently made tamales) and have her make you traditional tamales. Traditionally tamales are made from the head. Have her keep half of the tamales for herself and give half to you and everyone wins! Just give away the pig feet to her and any tripe (from organs) so she can make Menudo soup and if u like that soup ask her for a like a quart of it and u win again :)

Don't underestimate how well you can process an animal yourself. U just need to have a good functional setup (table, good knives, tubs, extra large coolers and ice, garage fridge space, empty freezer space, etc.) and you need for the animal to be a managable size. A 200 pound pig carcass won't be hard work with if u break it down or buy it broken into primals from the person who slaughters it. Handling a steer carcass whole or broken into primals is a whole other ball game haha.

Again, again, check out that thread i posted and know that it took me a long time to find good processing and butcher videos and this is what I learned 90% of my processing and butchering skill from :)

I really like that idea of "I'll take mine like you take yours". I totally get they don't want to hand hold a city boy through it.
Nah , they don't care ,,, I live in the county anyway . The whole story is this , I forgot to take my cut options to work . So the guy I got the hog from told me to call him at home . When I called he wasn't home so I was going to give the list to his Dad . However , his Dad told me he never learned to read or write . So I told him to do it like he does .
The grease from the sausage was red .
However , I learned that this fella was using everything , because I'm guessing he grew up with the need to do so .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky