Which one is the ribeye? Let’s play a game!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
So I feel like an idiot. Awhile back my wife bought a Chuck roast. It was too big to fit in one vac seal bag so I cut it in half and sealed in two seperate bags. We also buy 4-pack ribeye steaks from Kroger on occasion. Since there is only 3 of us we always vacuum seal one steak so by the time we’ve eaten steaks 3 times we get a 4th meal out of them. Two of the vacuum sealed ribeyes had the curved bone at the end. Those were easy to tell when I pulled out of the freezer. The 3rd ribeye is boneless. Now here was my dilemma. Both of these damn smaller boneless pieces look like ribeyes to me. But only one is. One is the other half of the Chuck roast. I took two pics. One with the flash and one without. The meat on top is the one thick end of the Chuck roast. The other two pieces are what I’m trying to figure out which is which. I ultimately decided on the meat on the left as being the ribeye. The reason being is the color of the meat. The thick Chuck up top has a darker shade of red to it, much like the piece I have sitting just below it. The meat on the left is a lighter shade of red and matched the red hue of the other two ribeyes. What do you guys think? I hope I didn’t make a mistake or else someone is going to be eating a tough steak tonight.
A538CCF9-21FC-4180-B481-456E34771D36.jpeg
68D53533-B1D8-4255-BA93-2F7ABEEB88E0.jpeg

Reactions: kruizer
I'm with Jake, the right one looks like ribeye, I'm still on the fence with the one on the left.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Bottom right. The bottom left looks nothing like a ribeye.
My 2 cents

Boykjo

Well I think I’m gonna cook both pieces. We will just have a smaller Chuck left which my wife says she will use for veggie soup. It will be interesting to which one it was.

Well I think I’m gonna cook both pieces. We will just have a smaller Chuck left which my wife says she will use for veggie soup. It will be interesting to which one it was.
I see 2 or maybe 1 and the other is a "chuckeye", as I've seen some marketed in the chain grocers. If I was pressed to pick one, I'd pick the one on the right, but either way, the 2 that obviously look like ribeyes will be just fine. Remember that where the chuck stops, the rib begins, there is no divider. The chuck end/half of the rib is my preferred part due to the extra internal fat in addition to the marbling. I'll wager that you won't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.....

Reactions: noboundaries
Agreed, bottom right is the Ribeye. Looking at the fatcap length and shape. Even though the left one may have had the fat trimmed, it looks like a Ribeye as well, but if you are 100% sure only 1 of them is a Ribeye, I'd choose the one on the right.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
What does the other side of the chuck roast look like? Does it match muscle wise to either of the other 2?

I'll take the Ribeye on the Bottom Right !!
It doesn't matter what the other 2 are, because I'll be Stuffed Full by then!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky