Where to find cuts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cambee

Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Metro Boston, MA
Hi all,

New to smoking meat and reading as much as possible. Took Jeff's ecourse.

Now, I'm ready to start smoking. However, I can't find any butcher here in metro west Mass. Does anyone know a website or butcher in the area? I've spoken with the whole foods butcher, and they have a few cuts every now and then yet nothing constant. Any purchasing advice would be great.

Chicken, fresh turkey, and fish isn't an issue in these parts. Ribs, brisket, pork butts are a rare find for a decent price.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, I'm not from the area but what I do is look at all the grocery stores in my area. I look for sales and buy when the prices are right. The stores don't always have the same thing week to week so I buy what they have and freeze then cook when I'm ready. Wal-mart usually has whole briskets, ribs and butts.

I see this is your first post so when you get a chance come by "Roll Call" and formally introduce yourself so we can get to know you, also would you do us a favor and add your location to your profile, Thanks!

Hi CamBee, and welcome to the forum!

If you would kindly post your location in your profile, it would be great!  Also, please go to Roll Call and introduce yourself and tell us a bit about yourself, equipment, etc., so we may properly welcome you!

For Pork:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/122289/pork-101

For Beef:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/122288/beef-101

For Chicken:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/122292/chicken-101

For Lamb:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110973/guide-to-lamb-cuts

These are some basic links but there is a whole lot more on the forum to explore, and any time you have a question about a cut, please take a picture of it and post it, we'll do our best to identify and tell you all about it and best ways to make it delicious!  A picture or two is invaluable!  (The 'picture' is called a 'Qview' on here!).

Last edited:
Now that we're into the summer months, pork butt prices are softening a bit as loins are more of a grill thrill.  Look for whole butt prices in discount and club houses (Sam's, Costco, Restaurant Supply, etc.).  In the NE briskets are not well known or merchandised.  Check with local independent markets with the meat manager and see if you can have them order "full packer briskets" from their wholesaler.  Typical prices are around $1.49-$1.99 lb;  may be higher special order.  Some chain stores may be able to special order them too; again check with the meat manager.  When you do find a piace that is willing to order and take care of you, please patronize them consistently and build up a rapport.  

A good example; (I was a meat manager for many years); my son lives in a nearby city.  I advised him of the same thing.  He normally shops at X.  But, Y had butts on sale one time.  He went in and bought several, but took the time to introduce himself to the meat manager and the first cutter, then went back consistently and shopped for other meat items and repeatedly sought out to nod or recognize them, or ask for non-contrived advice, and quickly built up a good relationship with them both.  Now, if he wants 4 or more butts, they discount them to him even if not on sale as they know he's a good customer.  Last Christmas, he purchased a 20 lb. Prime Black Angus rib roast from him special order, $10.00 a pound - $200.00 roast!  So they know he's a good customer, guess all the help talked about it for several days, lol!  But, they gave him the best looking roast I'd ever seen, as I cooked it, lol!

ffc9050b_033.jpg

b3d6e9f7_034.jpg

aa9b70c2_035.jpg

926ede99_037.jpg

Now doesn't that just look Good?!  He did him right, believe me!

Hi all,
New to smoking meat and reading as much as possible. Took Jeff's ecourse.
Now, I'm ready to start smoking. However, I can't find any butcher here in metro west Mass. Does anyone know a website or butcher in the area? I've spoken with the whole foods butcher, and they have a few cuts every now and then yet nothing constant. Any purchasing advice would be great.
Chicken, fresh turkey, and fish isn't an issue in these parts. Ribs, brisket, pork butts are a rare find for a decent price.
Thanks,
Jonathan
I can relate to this. We live in the country with the closest butcher 1 hour away. We can only get what the local market has on hand. Tri-Tip? We can't get that around here. Prime rib? Sometimes available around certain holidays and your'e lucky if they have one left. The local stores do carry brisket, ribs, and pork butt. If I ever saw a hunk 'o meat in a store like Pops shows in his recent post I would turn to warm Jello in front of the meat counter.   

You best bet would be BJ's or Costco .. something of the sort .. I am in the Lawrence area myself and even the markets up in this area are either Over priced or they carry Junky meats ..
Buying in bulk will save you trips later on .. I know we always get the free passes to BJ's and Sams .. give it a try

welcome1.gif

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. At the moment, it looks like BJs or Costco is going to be the best option for four legged animals.

Rita, you nailed it right on the head. Everything is either wicked over priced $5 lb for pork butt or just crappy quality. BJs has some decent beef tenderloins that I've stuffed with lobster in the past. I'll grab a pork butt to try my smoking skills.

I know the FDA recently changed the meaning of "minimal processed". Does anyone notice a flavor change with processed meats vs organic?

Thanks again all,

Hi all,
Thanks for the feedback. At the moment, it looks like BJs or Costco is going to be the best option for four legged animals.
Rita, you nailed it right on the head. Everything is either wicked over priced $5 lb for pork butt or just crappy quality. BJs has some decent beef tenderloins that I've stuffed with lobster in the past. I'll grab a pork butt to try my smoking skills.
I know the FDA recently changed the meaning of "minimal processed". Does anyone notice a flavor change with processed meats vs organic?
Thanks again all,
if you go and try and find a shoulder instead of a butt you may have better luck .. I was going around a few weeks ago Butt was 2.49lb while the shoulder was 1.29 think I was at Market Basket .. but even the meat market here McKennon's was waaayyyy over on their butt prices .. good luck .. ohh and get the bone in butt .. the last one I got was boneless and well they wrecked the whole piece of meat
wife.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky