Where are you getting belly's?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drysideshooter

Original poster
Nov 5, 2023
My wife and I recently started curing and smoking our own bacon. We really enjoy the results.

I am wondering where most of you are getting your pork belly at? We have a local store called the Chef's Store where we have been
getting most of ours. They carry IBP belly's. So far we have been impressed with the composition of them. Good meat to fat ratio. Obviously they are a commodity, and Chef's Store prices change frequently. This morning when I checked they are $3.19lb. That's the cheapest I've seen them in a while, so we will probably pick up a couple. They have been averaging 10-11lb.

Costco here in Central Florida. Paid $3.49/# 2- weeks ago. Yup sadly it’s more than I paid for brisket couple years ago but we are hooked on homemade bacon.
Do you have to ask for them, or do they have them out? We have looked at our Costco and haven't seen them.

I know exactly what you mean about being hooked on homemade bacon. Luckily we enjoy ours much more than store bought, and the process is fun.

I too get mine at Costco, and they're right out in a case for all to see. Last time I was there $2.99/lb swift brand. Kroger also carries Duroc bellies, but I've yet to see one in the cryovac bag more than 4-5 pounds.

And yes, home made bacon is oh so good! So... that means pics!

There is homemade bacon in there. Today is my wife and my 25th anniversary. My wife whipped
up this bacon eggs benedict this morning using our homemade bacon. It was delicious.
Bacon Benny.jpg

I called Costco first because time before there were none out in the case (were sold out). They had probably 15-20 in the case for me to choose from 😁👍👍

I too get mine at Costco, and they're right out in a case for all to see. Last time I was there $2.99/lb swift brand. Kroger also carries Duroc bellies, but I've yet to see one in the cryovac bag more than 4-5 pounds.

Here’s your pictures 😁👍👍

Attachments

• IMG_9542.jpeg
    IMG_9542.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9539.jpeg
    IMG_9539.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9533.jpeg
    IMG_9533.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9536.jpeg
    IMG_9536.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 24
Smoked the other half yesterday and probably slice this evening or in morning. What you see sliced is 1/4 of a belly.

Reactions: JLeonard
I get mine at Costco both in Fargo (closest store up north) and Orlando when south.

Do you have to ask for them, or do they have them out? We have looked at our Costco and haven't seen them.

I know exactly what you mean about being hooked on homemade bacon. Luckily we enjoy ours much more than store bought, and the process is fun.
Sometimes if you want a slab, call ahead to the meat department. The one in Fargo is often out of slab as they sliced it and packaged for side pork.

Reactions: ConrodM
I get mine at Costco both in Fargo (closest store up north) and Orlando when south.

Sometimes if you want a slab, call ahead to the meat department. The one in Fargo is often out of slab as they sliced it and packaged for side pork.
I get mine at Altamonte Springs costco. Be kool to bump into ya looking at briskets or bellies! Lol

Reactions: Fueling Around
My wife and I recently started curing and smoking our own bacon. We really enjoy the results.

I am wondering where most of you are getting your pork belly at? We have a local store called the Chef's Store where we have been
getting most of ours. They carry IBP belly's. So far we have been impressed with the composition of them. Good meat to fat ratio. Obviously they are a commodity, and Chef's Store prices change frequently. This morning when I checked they are $3.19lb. That's the cheapest I've seen them in a while, so we will probably pick up a couple. They have been averaging 10-11lb.
local latin meat place. Browqrd meat and fish. Typiclly$3.99/lb periodic sales for$2.99
round about 5lbs. the one i bought last Friday was $21

smoke-3.jpg
My last dry cured finishing up after about 10 hours of cold smoke.
I haven't sliced it yet. In fridge for a week, then vac sealed for the ride south.
I get mine at Altamonte Springs costco. Be kool to bump into ya looking at briskets or bellies! Lol
I'll be sharing at the S Florida gathering in a month.

Thanks for that info, I have a brother in Fargo that is coming my way soon. No bellies in Jamestown.

Our local WinCo has been a reliable source for large slabs of belly. Also, check for a local asian market like an H-Mart or Zion Market, you can get belly there also.

There is homemade bacon in there. Today is my wife and my 25th anniversary. My wife whipped
up this bacon eggs benedict this morning using our homemade bacon. It was delicious.
I was too busy drooling over the Eggs Benedict, my all time favorite breakfast to stop and comment.
Slop hollandaise sauce over most anything and I will eat it. I often poach just the egg whites left over from making the beloved sauce.
Do you make loin bacon too? I shave that into deli meat to put under the eggs, too. Decadent days, I put bacon and loin bacon under the eggs.
Appears to be some really meaty bacon.
Happy Anniversary to you and your wife.
Sorry for the slight high-jack of the thread.
When we get talking bacon .... well I think you understand.

If that’s the one in Sebring- might just have to pop in! 😋😁👍👍
That's the one. Just look for the old fat guy wearing the hat in my avatar.
I'm limited in my cookery, but fxsales1959 fxsales1959 will be there and he brings a Black Stone griddle to cook. (Yes John, that means you and Linda get the first tasting again.)
I'm thinking to make a batch of pig shots with them, too. They reheat pretty easy on my portable gas grill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky