Wher to place meat in smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bucko1

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I have never tried to smoke anything so I have a question. I have a char griller with a side fire box. On the inside of my main grill do I place the meat close to the fire box side or toward the other end?

icon_cool.gif

What Scott said if you haven't done any mods to it yet away from the firbox thats gonna be the hottest part of the smoker. You want to get to a lower temp part of the smoker so it won't burn the meat efore smoking it properly.

I would start in the middle of the smoker, the fire side can be to hot, the other end can be to cold, the middle is just right.

The first two mods you need to do is to extend ths chimney down to 1 to 2 inches above the grate, and charcoal basket. I don't show tjose two mos in my post because they have been cover in many other post. After you do those two an if you want a Awesome Smoker read my post. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/113868/highly-modified-char-griller-pro-with-side-fire-box

I would fire that baby up just the way you are going to smoke with it and take some readings in several different places  then pick the one you like...If you do the Mods to it you will like it much better.

I cook ribs on the end away from the fire box, chicken in the middle and wings,corn and potatoes on the end nearest the fire box. The only mod that I have done is to turn the charcoal grate in the fire box on its "legs" to improve air flow to the fire. Otherwise, it cooks just fine the way it is out of the box IMHO.

If your smoker has room leave the Ribs whole...Just rotate them periodically for even cooking...JJ

Buy a can of pre made bisquits, and spread them out over the grill area.    Easy and cheap experiment to see how it cooks from end to end.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky