What's your occupation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am a jack of all trades. I started out as a laborer, then became a carpenter. Got bored with that and became an auto mechanic off and on for about 8 years. Got bored with that and became a truck driver. Drove long haul for about 5 years then worked odd jobs locally. After about 3 years break from driving I started working for a major Midwest grocery chain delivering groceries to the stores from the warehouse. Been doing that for about 7 years now. So like I said I'm a jack of all trades. Lol

I am a meat cutter for the past 8yrs. It works out good with my love of cooking. I can select and cut each piece of meat. I love my job!!!

I'm a retired career fireman. Retired in 08.
"I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'
My reply: one of the things I enjoy most is converting coffee/wine into urine.
It's most satisfying. I do it every day and I thoroughly enjoy it.”

Reactions: shoebe
I'm a n HR professional turned Realtor. Been lucky enoughy to spend my summers in the garden and now with my 40' MES :0)
Feeding the neighborhood and we all love it!! Btw....anyone have a recommendation on a good meat slicer that doesn't take up all the room in my kitchen? ?

I'm a retired career fireman. Retired in 08.
"I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'
My reply: one of the things I enjoy most is converting coffee/wine into urine.
It's most satisfying. I do it every day and I thoroughly enjoy it.”
When they ask me what I do now that I'm retired, I reply "anything that I want." 

I am retired from the State Dept, with also 14 years military, specializing in military intelligence.  Smoked beef short ribs yesterday that came right off the bone, when bit.  Thought they would shrink up more so I smoked enough for four hungry eaters.  Got a bunch left over for lunch today.  The wife loved them.  Had the most perfect smoke ring on them.  Was so anxious to eat them that I clean forgot to take photos.

UPDATE just retired - not doing anything except cruising LOL and a little golf. - been exceptional so far. Anxiety level dropping on Sundays - YES!!!!  

Smoked brisket so far (40 lbs that I share with a friend) - 22 hours with a tangy rub that I made a year ago - WOW just delicious.  Cold on a sandwich with some fresh mustard and a glass of whiskey/run/vodka/beer.......well whatever!!

You're gonna learn that when retired EVERYDAY is a Saturday, except Sunday.  It just doesn't get any better.  Looking forward to left over beef short ribs for lunch.  Haven't been able to find a decent brisket to smoke down here.  In NC I had a butcher shop that provided me with big Angus brisket.  Fresh Market had the tip end when I checked, but although it was nice looking, it just didn't look good enough for my first brisket on this smoker, down here in Florida.  I used to get two deer from my son-in-law every winter when I lived in NC.  That's gone too. 

Thanks for info.  I hope not every day is Saturday.  When i was working, Saturday was the Honey DO day and I didn't like it.  So I like to believe every day is Monday on vacation.  

As for brisket, the best brisket is the one that you smoke.  Even a so-so cut of meat can turn out to be a masterpiece on the smoker.  This is my 3rd smoker.  1st one was electric round that spewed more smoke out of the unit that in the meat but it served me well for about 8 years.  I couldn't control the temperature in it though.  The 2nd smoker was propane and I used it for only 4 years and could never keep the temperature constant nor could I get it over 200F, normally around 180F;  this unit had no insulation and not well sealed.  I had to open the door every 1/2 hour to add chips and add water to the pan so the rule of peeking really made it difficult for me.  the new smoker is an electric digital, sealed unit with a small round chip dump.  The temperature stays where I set it and it is wonderful.  The cut of meat doesn't matter.  in fact I would suggest you get a whole brisket (don't worry about the kind of meat), cut off the chunks of hard fat, trim excess fat off, rub heavily with a really good dry rub and leave it sit for 10 hours and then smoke for 20.  Even the worst cut will be your masterpiece.  GOOD LUCK.  Actually that's one of the reasons they smoke meat was not just to preserve but to soften up and make good some of those old chewy bulls.

I am an electronics technician for Boeing commercial aircraft. I fix the electronics in the machines that makes the wing parts for all metal aircraft, like the 747, 777, 737 etc

When you're retired, the days are either weekdays (less traffic and fewer people in the stores and all the stores are open) or weekend days (more traffic and stores are mobbed and some aren't open). It's kind of weird to actually look forward to weekdays.
Exactly!!!
icon14.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky