Whats Your Comfort Food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've made potato soups that included bacon, cream, half n half, cheese, carrots, a variety of spices, etc, but I cannot call them "potato soup." My wife ate the soup above so often when young that the words "potato soup" create an expectation against which anything I make is measured. After hearing "that's not potato soup" too many times to count, I now name any potato soup I make something else, and she loves it with no comparisons.

It pays to pay attention.

I've made potato soups that included bacon, cream, half n half, cheese, carrots, a variety of spices, etc, but I cannot call them "potato soup." My wife ate the soup above so often when young that the words "potato soup" create an expectation against which anything I make is measured. After hearing "that's not potato soup" too many times to count, I now name any potato soup I make something else, and she loves it with no comparisons.

It pays to pay attention.
Quite some time ago I had a craving for goulash...but not the type with alot of liquid. What I ended up with was very thick...could stand a fork up in it...it was perfect! My wife nicknamed it " slump"!

Ryan

Quite some time ago I had a craving for goulash...but not the type with alot of liquid. What I ended up with was very thick...could stand a fork up in it...it was perfect! My wife nicknamed it " slump"!

Ryan
Can't believe I forgot to mention goulash earlier, awesome comfort food!! Slump sounds delicious to me!!

I love a hearty bowl of potato chowder. Here's my take on it.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Guinness beef stew. I'll share more details later this evening
IMG_20221116_122224.jpg
IMG_20221116_125146.jpg
IMG_20221116_131355.jpg

DAAAAMMM! That looks amazing Jake! When I was in New Zealand. I had it with lamb. I would love to know that recipe!

Reactions: TNJAKE
I have formed an addiction the these. Hot dogs made from pork loin and brisket trim, homemade New Orleans French bread buns, homemade chipotle Mayo, Cincinnati venison hot dog chili, homemade pickles and pickled red onions with cheese!

Attachments

• FD60E4D1-69CA-40F4-A8AC-39DB95ECE03F.jpeg
    FD60E4D1-69CA-40F4-A8AC-39DB95ECE03F.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 6
  • EE7D2BF5-EE0C-434E-A55A-91D11AFFBDE8.jpeg
    EE7D2BF5-EE0C-434E-A55A-91D11AFFBDE8.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 670CE488-AD20-4989-8E56-34A15A3E955C.jpeg
    670CE488-AD20-4989-8E56-34A15A3E955C.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 5
Tamales, or a nice Italian deli cold cut sandwich on a sourdough hard roll.

One of my comfort foods is stuffed cabbage rolls. . .(Halupki)

In January of 2020 I posted the recipe and it made it to the Carousel.

I have enclosed the the recipe for those who love those little hand grenades!

Enjoy,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve H and TNJAKE
Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Coffee Buzz Buzz Buzz bar
I will give you one. These are the bomb. I love them on Deviled Eggs. I would show you the ones I just did but they kind of fell out of my over full fridge! They where sitting on a Brisket I smoking and giving to a friend next week. At least they still taste good.

IMG_20221223_164921443.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
From scratch...

Chicken-n-dumplings (with FLAT dumplings, not biscuits!)
Vegetable Beef soup and fried hot water cornbread
Biscuits and sausage gravy

NOT from scratch...

There is only one...Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper (beat me, stomp me, I've loved it since the first time I ate it MANY years ago)

simple toast or muffin with butter and cinnamon sugar. the same with butter and peanut butter and a cold glass of milk.
tonight (or this morning) is going to be accompanied with eggnog and brandy.. I'll be comfy! lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky