What the hell am I doing wrong since I would eat Famous Dave's Chain Smoked meat over mine anyday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tempnexus

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
So I just ordered Famous Dave's Pork Ribs and Chicken and boy it's heads over tails over my own creation.

I use MB 30 Electric smoker, I used AMAZEN, I don't use any water, I use the low smoke via AMZEN smoke system and still my meat is not as good as that chain freaking thing. What are their secrets for some awesome ribs, pulled pork or Chicken?

I am a failure.

First I’d do some espionage on Famous Dave’s seasoning. Also... Give consideration to the quality of meat you buy for your own smokes.
I’m not familiar with Dave’s in my area. But bet with some work you will get there! Keep working at it. B

It may just be a few little tweaks here or there, that takes your bbq to where you want it. They may have different seasoning blends, different temp/cook times.

Keep trying, practice makes perfect!!

I don't have a Famous Dave's in my neck of the woods, but I've eaten there when traveling. I can smell the smoke as soon as I open my car door. They're using wood fired smokers.

The OP says he is dry smoking in his MES. To get more smoke to adhere to the meat from your Amazn, try wet smoking. There's a good article on a competing website about a moist environment increasing smoke flavor. You may notice a difference if you wet smoke in your MES. My wife is technically what is called a super-taster. I don't use an MES, but she won't eat meat I wet smoke in my WSM because the smoke flavor is too strong, even using mild woods like apple.

Thanks all! Yeah I don't wet smoke since when I did I got a bitter taste and my wife confirmed it so I dry smoke it now. I normally smoke at 250F

Do you sauce your meats, how long does your meat sit after it’s rubbed. Do you have a good rub if not I and several others recommend Jeff’s rub.

Thanks all! Yeah I don't wet smoke since when I did I got a bitter taste and my wife confirmed it so I dry smoke it now. I normally smoke at 250F

You'r doing it the right way as far as not adding water. A MES is sealed very well and creates plenty of moisture in the cook chamber.
As said, just keep tweeking what you are doing--but just one thing at a time.
Believe me, you'll get there.
Gary

Reactions: bdskelly
Define "Better Than Your's" more precisely. What makes "their's" better than "your's"? Tenderness? Flavor? In what categories - Rub? Sauce? Smoke? Fall-Off-The-Bone? (which, if their's is, it shouldn't be; should be a tug to the meat; fall-off-the-bone indicate's it was steamed or boiled first to hasten cooking. REAL BBQ should NOT fall-off-the-bone). Complexity of spices? (Try Jeff's Rub) Test, analyze, and KEEP PRECISE RECORDS IN YOUR SMOKING LOG BOOK! (Don't have one? See Jeff's! https://statich.smokingmeatforums.com/0/07/07104ca2_smoking-meat-log.pdf )
Print off pages, 3-hole punch and keep in a ring binder so you can look back at your results - get a 26 divider-page separators, A-Z, to keep organized! THIS IS THE BEST SMOKING TOOL!

First off, your not a failure... your just still trying to figure out how to produce the Q you like. Trust me, I've personally made some REALLY bad Q... like the dog shriveled up his nose to... Bad stuff man! But I learned from my mistakes & each smoke would tweak a bit here & there... After a lot of practice & experience, I can now smoke to my fams liking! Hang in there & keep on smoking. Make those small tweaks until you end up with what your fam likes.

Famous Dave's Q is okay, but after some practice & experience you can & will produce the Q your looking for!

Define "Better Than Your's" more precisely. What makes "their's" better than "your's"? Tenderness? Flavor? In what categories - Rub? Sauce? Smoke? Fall-Off-The-Bone? (which, if their's is, it shouldn't be; should be a tug to the meat; fall-off-the-bone indicate's it was steamed or boiled first to hasten cooking. REAL BBQ should NOT fall-off-the-bone). Complexity of spices? (Try Jeff's Rub) Test, analyze, and KEEP PRECISE RECORDS IN YOUR SMOKING LOG BOOK! (Don't have one? See Jeff's! https://statich.smokingmeatforums.com/0/07/07104ca2_smoking-meat-log.pdf )
Print off pages, 3-hole punch and keep in a ring binder so you can look back at your results - get a 26 divider-page separators, A-Z, to keep organized! THIS IS THE BEST SMOKING TOOL!

This is spot on as far as getting what you like. I have manila folders going back 20+ years as a resource, so much as what cracked pepper I used on the best smoked cheese I’ve had to date.

Came from TJ Maxx incidentally... lol

But, it’s usually the little things. Cut/quality of what you’re buying and smoking, is there a dry rub of S&P and a couple days of aging? Chicken can use a brine, then a hot smoke etc.

Throw it out here, you’ve got a treasure trove of knowledge here.

I’m a recovering chef, 15+ years in kitchens, I’ve learned just as much about this just hanging around here!

That and always changing/tweaking whatever it was you didn’t like from the previous smoke.

Good luck. Cheers!

Reactions: noboundaries
Define "Better Than Your's" more precisely. What makes "their's" better than "your's"? Tenderness? Flavor? In what categories - Rub? Sauce? Smoke? Fall-Off-The-Bone? (which, if their's is, it shouldn't be; should be a tug to the meat; fall-off-the-bone indicate's it was steamed or boiled first to hasten cooking. REAL BBQ should NOT fall-off-the-bone). Complexity of spices? (Try Jeff's Rub) Test, analyze, and KEEP PRECISE RECORDS IN YOUR SMOKING LOG BOOK! (Don't have one? See Jeff's!

Yeah, that is what I was wondering. What do you like about Famous Dave's bbq over yours? Lots of things to consider, flavor profile what type of wood you are using etc. Even amount of smoke as you said you are using a low smoke system.

When you are smoking meats, hanging around the smoker desensitizes your taste buds.... You can't taste the smoke... You can't taste the food...
Smoke it.... Put in the fridge at least overnight... then try it the next evening.... BIG DIFFERENCE...

You are not a failure. But you are setting yourself up for failure by being a follower instead of finding your own path.
Don't duplicate, create!
Do you think famous Amos got famous copying somebody else's creations?
Or Alton Brown by altering some alter boy's recipe?
Master your own Masterpieces, and leave the commercial creations in the dust.
;)

Reactions: daveomak
To add to dave's comment above, I try to actually shower before I sit down to eat what's coming off fresh on the smoker. i feel like getting the smoke off your skin, hair and new clothes gives you the opportunity to taste a big difference. And like Dave said, reheated BBQ the next day is always more flavorful.

The Famous Dave's around here does pretty good job with their food. I've eaten at a few and for what it's worth, not all locations food is equal. I think the work in the kitchen is equally as important to the final results. but nothing is more rewarding than eating your own Q.

When you are smoking meats, hanging around the smoker desensitizes your taste buds.... You can't taste the smoke... You can't taste the food...
Smoke it.... Put in the fridge at least overnight... then try it the next evening.... BIG DIFFERENCE...
This is so true! Everyone laughs at me bc after a long cook I usually won't touch the food for a day or two. Why I value my vacuum sealer almost as much as my smoker. And Markh024, I do the same exact thing, IF I do eat after cooking, I always clean my smoker, then clean myself, then I eat (and it's still never very much at all).

Reactions: daveomak
Well, after reading all the above comments, there isn't much I can add, except to say I have never had any of Famous Dave's Smoked Meat, so I can't compare it to mine.

However the Index Below might give you some hints to improve what you're already doing.
Check This Out:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Reactions: daveomak and SonnyE
I've had his ribs and really doesn't suit my taste buds, but opinions are like.....

This is from Famous Dave's Backroads and Sidestreets Barbecue Cookbook
INGREDIENTS
Hope it helps

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky