What temp and how long for sous vide shredded elk roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
I have never tried this, but want to make shredded elk tacos, have any of you tried this?
If so, how did you go about it?

Thank you.
Dan.

Reactions: JLeonard
I would say IDK, I have read that meat will get tender at less than 200 but not sure how many hours it will take, I have had bags come apart at 160 or so when I was doing some testing to reheat. ruined some pork. I would test drive some colored water as a test to make sure the bags/seal holds up. elk is hard to come by around here. If I were doing it smoke/grill to 160 then package, I'm sure somebody does it so some searching should produce, let us know how it turns out.

I would say IDK, I have read that meat will get tender at less than 200 but not sure how many hours it will take, I have had bags come apart at 160 or so when I was doing some testing to reheat. ruined some pork. I would test drive some colored water as a test to make sure the bags/seal holds up. elk is hard to come by around here. If I were doing it smoke/grill to 160 then package, I'm sure somebody does it so some searching should produce, let us know how it turns out.
For that reason alone, I purchased some food grade silicone bags that are long. I first vacuum seal them like normal, then place the vacuum sealed bag into the silicone bag. I then use a long chip bag clip to keep the food contained to the bottom portion of the bag, then drape the top of the bag over the top edge of the cooking vessel, then place a ceramic bowl over the food to keep it submerged.

Unless I find someone that has done the shredding deal with either venison or elk, I probably will not attempt it. And most likely cook it in a stew style, or roast beef for slicing style. As you can tell, I don't really know what the hell I'm going to do with it yet.🤣

It's a 5+ lb trussed rump roast.

Attachments

• 20240310_200106.jpg
    20240310_200106.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 6
Can't help either, never done elk meat. Haven't sous vide venison either which is the closest I've got. Do ya have an insta pot? That might work. Otherwise Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ maybe could point ya in right direction.

Ryan

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I’ve never used a SV but I love elk. If you decide to go the stew route give this a try with some of that roast. Stuff is delicious

Can't help either, never done elk meat. Haven't sous vide venison either which is the closest I've got. Do ya have an insta pot? That might work. Otherwise Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ maybe could point ya in right direction.

Ryan
Ryan, I don't have an Insta pot I want one though. I may check Amazon tonight or have my wife grab one tomorrow at Walmart.

Thank you.
Dan

I do chuck roast at 160 for 24 hours . Not sure how that transfers to Elk meat though .
I don't have an Insta pot I want one though. I may check Amazon tonight or have my wife grab one tomorrow at Walmart.
You won't be sorry with an instant pot . Works great for stuff like this .
This was a pork loin I used for tacos , basic idea is the same . Good thing about an instant pot is you can always go back under pressure if it's not tender enough .

Reactions: forktender
Googling I found this.....Interested also because I have a deer roast hanging the freezer I to do something with....

Jim

I've done one elk roast, this was awhile back so all pics are on an old phone. I did mine pretty similar to a chuck roast I guess. Took the IT between 190-200. The only thing I would have done different is more spritzing and wrapping at 160 or so, with a liquid of some sort. And plenty of it. Elk is pretty lean so that might help to keep it from drying out. Mine wasn't bad but turned out dryer than I prefer. Maybe adding some beef tallow in the wrap could help too. Hopefully that's somewhat helpful. Curious to see what you do with it.

forktender forktender Dan, looks like you’ve made a decision. Don’t think you can go wrong with TNJAKE TNJAKE recipe!

For what it’s worth I used to do elk roasts and still do on occasion in the crockpot. I would cook it with some Lipton Beefy Onion mix. The directions would say put 4 cups water in… I would do 2 cups water and 2 beers. I would let this go overnight and it would shred just fine. I would add some whole veggies for a side to round out whatever meal we went with! One of our favs was a hot roast open faced sandwich. Kinda reminiscent of SOS…. That being said, you could add some Mexican spice to it and I bet it’d take it up a notch and be very tasty!

I noticed your post said the roast was 5+ pounds… just an idea… but try a couple different recipes! 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, good luck and hope ya post up whatever you decide to do!

I had to take my truck into the shop, so I was stuck home without wheels to get to the store. So I found a recipe for e MS pot roast that used spices from the pantry, no premade packets of any type. And as usual, I couldn't stick with the recipe, I always ad lib when I cook. It's in the crock pot now for supper tonight.
This is the recipe I started with.

Last edited:

Ryan
I just pulled the plug on a 6qt Insta Pot, they are on Amazons daily special for $74. Looking forward to trying it out soon.
Thanks for the tip.

Definitely the way to go. I've done elk, moose, and venison. All with the pressure cooker. I love the SV for a lot of things, but wouldn't be my choice for pulled meat.

One time I did pulled moose in a dutch oven. No different than making pulled beef, IMO. You won't be sad with the pressure cooker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky