What a bummer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Update:

I received the body kit today and it works just fine with the old controller. So it wasn't the controller after all it is something in the body. I have a feeling there is something wrong with the potted circuit card on the bottom of the smoker.

So the good news is that I can start smoking now. WooHoo! Finally!!!

Thanks to everyone here for putting up with my rants and helping me through this process.

Update:

I received the body kit today and it works just fine with the old controller. So it wasn't the controller after all it is something in the body. I have a feeling there is something wrong with the potted circuit card on the bottom of the smoker.

So the good news is that I can start smoking now. WooHoo! Finally!!!

Thanks to everyone here for putting up with my rants and helping me through this process.
Glad you are up and running!

What are you doing with the old unit?  If it is complete but just not cutting on and heating then it is a prime candidate for a rewire and a PID controller!

Last edited:
Glad you are up and running!

What are you doing with the old unit?  If it is complete but just not cutting on and heating then it is a prime candidate for a rewire and a PID controller!

That's the plan! It's going to be a little electronics science project to do with my son. I've already ordered a PID controller along with a thermocouple, SSR and heat sink. I'm am looking for any and all helpful input as to how to wire it all up!

Thanks!

Glad everything is working now. So whats your big plans for the first smoke in your unit? You have to be anxious to get it going.

Glad everything is working now. So whats your big plans for the first smoke in your unit? You have to be anxious to get it going.

I know it must sound crazy but I don't have a grand plan yet. It really depends on how this weekend evolves with the family. I can always do some baby backs or a pork shoulder for pulled pork.

I really got the electric smoker to do things like smoked fish (both hot and cold), jerky, cheese, nuts and other things that are best done at 275 and below.

Right now I'm just happy it's working! It's kinda like a two-fer. In the end I have one working smoker and a possible science project.

Hey nothing wrong with that. Just glad your up and running. I own a mes30 just for the same. Love cold smoking. Made a cold smoke box larger then what I was using before. Big enough for 2 of the bigger pellet trays if needed. Haven't done nuts yet. I have about 2 blocks of smoked sharp cheddar in the fridge since Jan.
Getting ready to start a pork butt tonight. And make ABT's Saturday to go with it.

That's the plan! It's going to be a little electronics science project to do with my son. I've already ordered a PID controller along with a thermocouple, SSR and heat sink. I'm am looking for any and all helpful input as to how to wire it all up!

Thanks!
The rewire of the smoker is actually quite simple.  Wiring the PID all together wont be as difficult.  The biggest issue u may find with assembling the controller and other parts is the housing/box you put it all in.

Let us know how u progress and Im positive u will get the help u need :)

The rewire of the smoker is actually quite simple.  Wiring the PID all together wont be as difficult.  The biggest issue u may find with assembling the controller and other parts is the housing/box you put it all in.

Let us know how u progress and Im positive u will get the help u need :)
Thanks. Any suggestions for a good housing?

Thanks. Any suggestions for a good housing?
Hmmm that is the difficult thing to answer lol.  I chose a good metal one I could ground to.

Things to consider would be how you will handle grounding, the space needed for your PID, SSR, Heat Sink, Wiring.  Also you must consider the design you can/want to go with and the  tools needed to cutting squares or holes for outlets, chords, and chord relief grommits, etc. etc. etc.

Check out my post here on how I built a controller box for a PID Controller called the HeaterMeter:  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...-wifi-and-electric-smoker-mes40-mod-in-detail

At the bottom of that long post you will see images of my controller box, HeaterMeter, and other stuff.  Here is a couple of those pics, see the post for the full set:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky