What’s Cooking on Memorial Day???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Attachments

• 9A248EA2-4E1F-43A5-A314-A5E79A796AD3.jpeg
    9A248EA2-4E1F-43A5-A314-A5E79A796AD3.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 21
Going to put a couple cowboy cut ribeyes on the smoker. Thinking about running to the store and picking up a small shoulder to make pulled pork for some pp nacho's.

I threw on two pork butts this morning for my sons birthday at 2:00 a.m. today!!

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 18
Memorial Day will be an awesome and sentimental day for me (not just because of the holiday). Last Memorial Day was my very first meat smoking experience and I smoked up one brisket and pork butt for a family gathering. I was cooking the only meat so I was very nervous. It turned out great and I have been Q’ing every week at least 2 times a week (usually more) since then. While I did grill on a gasser prior to this maybe 3 times a year, that was the moment that got me hooked. This will be a special day for me. I have come a long way this year and I will also be doing a pork butt and brisket again.

By the way, over the course of the year I have owned or still own a MES, a pellet trailer, a kamado joe, WSM, and a stick burner trailer. I guess you can say I dove right in.

Here's a Story for you guys:

When I was in Vietnam, we caught our Base Camp Mess Sgt taking our monthly ration of Steaks & selling them to the Vietnamese. No--Nobody Fragged his Butt, however they shipped him out to protect him, after they busted him.

So from that day forward, we voted to save the Steaks, and not let the cooks ruin them by making them in the Mess Hall.

Instead, we had a Company picnic once a month, if you weren't out in the boonies at that time.
We had a few 50 gallon drums cut in half , with mesh wire for grill racks, and we made Chicken Drums & Thighs, and Steaks. We also washed out a Jeep Trailer & packed it with Ice & Beer (cans of 3.2 Beer).

End of Story.

Bear

a 14 pound Brisket is going in the smoker tomorrow. Probably make some baked beans and homemade potato salad to go with it. Today marks 33 years my wife has been putting up with me

We just finished a pork butt, followed by smoked chicken. When I asked SWMBO'd what she wanted this weekend, she said, "I'd love to have some burgers, roasted veggies, and potato salad." Now, all I need is dessert.

Bear, your memory brought back a few of my own. Huge BBQs on the flight deck made out of jet engine shipping clamshells, the meal washed down with white cans labeled in black letters that read "Beer." Two cans max per person. For those that didn't drink, their two cans were almost worth their weight in gold.

Reactions: WaterRat
It's going to be raining here all day today, I'm hoping to get some brats on the grill under the patio roof.
But if the wind is blowing too hard they may just get done in the kitchen.
Got a rack of ribs smoked yesterday & have a few left over to munch on for lunch!
I feel sorry for those guys up on the North end of the Gulf coast.
There Memorial Day w/e is pretty much screwed unless they do it today!
Maybe by Monday we will be out of it & I can fire up the Lang!
Don't care what I put in it, I just want to fire it up!!
Al

Well. Pork shoulder on for two hours. Spritz with beer and hot sauce smells goood.. Death Star cruising at 250.
At about 3 the sirloin roast will go on. And then the corn...

Attachments

• 33CC0F34-E790-4298-B102-D2B6C33D7E17.jpeg
    33CC0F34-E790-4298-B102-D2B6C33D7E17.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 20
We just finished a pork butt, followed by smoked chicken. When I asked SWMBO'd what she wanted this weekend, she said, "I'd love to have some burgers, roasted veggies, and potato salad." Now, all I need is dessert.

Bear, your memory brought back a few of my own. Huge BBQs on the flight deck made out of jet engine shipping clamshells, the meal washed down with white cans labeled in black letters that read "Beer." Two cans max per person. For those that didn't drink, their two cans were almost worth their weight in gold.

LOL---There's another memory you just brought on:
I could buy any "3.2" Beer I wanted, anywhere in Vietnam, up to my Rations Card limit.
However if I wanted Whiskey, Gin, Wine, or anything stronger than Beer, I had to find a guy who was over 21 years old, which wasn't easy to do in a Combat Zone!!!

Bear

Last edited:
Got a flank steak swimming in marinade for tonight. That will be grilled with my AMAZEN supplying some smoke. Tomorrow country style ribs are going in the smoker. Along with a few chicken breast that will be brined for salads and sammies.

6E8654CA-8686-4BAE-ACAA-0AF244C562D8.jpeg
Here we are 7 hours in.. pork shoulder is wrapped and I just put on the sirloin roasts. I’m going to take them to 129 ( thick part) and let them rest for 1/2 before slicing

I pulled out some merinaded pork loins I already had smoked from the freezer, along with a tub of apple cider braised pulled pork. It sort of went over my head it's Memorial Day and all. I'm just happy with a quiet weekend and hiding in the AC <It peaked at 90f here already and is feeling a tad muggy>.

2A064F13-AB2F-44EF-A5BF-0C083CBCE63B.jpeg

Smoked turkey roast, hotdogs and mac and cheese. Just the wife and I plus her little sister, nothing fancy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky