Want to give hot and fast brisket a try. For those who do this what do you recommend?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey
With hot and fast, should I inject and/or wrap the brisket at all? Or should I follow a low and slow recipe, with just higher temperature and quicker cook times?

When I've cooked hot and fast I simply trimmed, seasoned, and cooked at ~325°F til it passed the probe test. No brine, injection, or wrap. If you want brisket juices then by all means wrap or pan.

I don't inject my briskets whether I'm doing them low n slow or hot n fast. Wrapping during or just after the stall (let it go awhile), taking it to probe tender IN THE FLAT, then a long rest (3-5 hours in a 140-170F oven), will give mouth-watering results.

Reactions: civilsmoker
I did one some time back when several of us did this. No injection just rub of choice and into the Yoder at around 350. If I recall correctly I wrapped it at 160 with pink butcher paper and that was about 2 hours in. I believe it took about 3 more hours to reach an IT of 200+. My results were good as far as the brisket as a whole but only 2 hours prior to wrapping didn't give the brisket any real bark and I had some burnt on the bottom (heat side) and it stuck to the paper on the bottom as well. Nothing really wrong with it but it kind of resembled a brisket I saw a guy cook in an oven once. Good meat but not really "smoked". For me personally the bark is critical to a good smoked brisket so I tend to run at temps where I can get at least 4 or 5 hours minimum prior to wrapping.

I'm sure there are some tips & tricks I'm not aware of. If I was to try this again I'd probably drop my temps to around 300/325 and give that a run. That would still be a hot and fast for me since I've been know to run Briskets for 12 to 16 hours @ 250.

I don't inject my briskets whether I'm doing them low n slow or hot n fast. Wrapping during or just after the stall (let it go awhile), taking it to probe tender IN THE FLAT, then a long rest (3-5 hours in a 140-170F oven), will give mouth-watering results.
Bingo, I'm in this camp as well!

With hot and fast, should I inject and/or wrap the brisket at all? Or should I follow a low and slow recipe, with just higher temperature and quicker cook times?

I don’t inject but I do the same method for hot/fast and low/slow. I wrap around the 160F or when the bark looks nice. I add a little broth or tallow to the wrap but keep it simple. Salt pepper and maybe a little garlic or onion. IMO Hot/fast makes a better flat, low/slow makes a better point because it allows more time for the fat to render but can dry out the flat. It’s all a balancing act.

I've found a sweet spot (at least for us) running at 275º. Wait until its been in the stall for a bit, usually close to 170º, wrap in butcher paper then continue until its probe tender.

Reactions: lilhef
My methods for cooking the best Hot-n-Fast briskets.

Prime not Choice.
Packers not Flats.
Don't use smaller Packers, medium or large for Hot-n-Fast 275°-300°, large (the bigger the better) for Extreme Hot-n-Fast 375°-400°.
Be picky about'em, choose thicker and uniform thickness if at all possible.
Trim the hard fat and don't worry about the rest, it's going to keep the meat juicy and flavorful.
Trim any corners round, nothing fancy.
If I've time I'll dry brine the meaty sides for 24-48 hours with coarse Kosher salt.
No injecting, just a good ol'fashioned Dalmatian Rub of coarse salt and Cracked Pepper.
I cook Hot-n-Fast at 275°-300° straight through.
Extreme Hot-n-Fast gets a couple hours at 275°-300° to get some smoke, and then cranked to 375°400° for the remainder.
Wrap in doubled butcher paper at about 165°, I don't bother to add anything in the wrap.
Temp probe in thickest part of Flat, start probing for tenderness at 195°.
Point will be tender before Flat, ignore it and probe the Flat.
Wrap and rest for at least an hour or two.

Prime Packer Brisket Extreme Hot-n-Fast
Brisket EXTREMELY hot-n-Fast
Big'ol Brisket Done EXTREME Hot-n-Fast

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky