Vinegar pre marinade help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sack1971

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Grey Eagle, MN
I read there are three options for killing bacteria prior to marinating. Soaking the freshly cut beef in 5% acidic vinegar. The other option is post heating in oven after dehydrating. What do you do? It all sound so alarming.

Vinegar cure is normally called Biltong. It is an old and reliable jerky method.
There is a few threads here about it.
Personally, I haven't made it. One of many on the "to do list" as I don't like salty.
Have you checked out the "Search" function in the upper right hand corner of the window?
Click the box and click on "Advanced..."

I read there are three options for killing bacteria prior to marinating. Soaking the freshly cut beef in 5% acidic vinegar. The other option is post heating in oven after dehydrating. What do you do? It all sound so alarming.
What’s the bacteria concern? Is this whole muscle meat?

What’s the bacteria concern? Is this whole muscle meat?
The article basically sounded very alarming about the quick growth of bacteria and how you can get sick quickly. That our dehydrators etc have inaccurate temps yada yada....Kind of a buzz kill for a newbie. That store bought is much safer.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Understanding the process is key. Salt (sodium) is a big bacterial hurdle, then acidic ingredients like vinegar or soy or woorsy sauce are another hurdle, cure #1 is a big hurdle if you use it but it’s not strictly necessary. If cutting meat from a whole muscle piece, that whole muscle is considered sterile inside, so only bacteria concern is the surface, this is where salt alone will handle the surface bacteria long enough to dehydrate, that drying process is the biggest hurdle for bacteria. Lowering the meat AW (available water) is the death nail for bacteria regardless of the temp. The process is straight forward and safe, don’t be intimidated.

Understanding the process is key. Salt (sodium) is a big bacterial hurdle, then acidic ingredients like vinegar or soy or woorsy sauce are another hurdle, cure #1 is a big hurdle if you use it but it’s not strictly necessary. If cutting meat from a whole muscle piece, that whole muscle is considered sterile inside, so only bacteria concern is the surface, this is where salt alone will handle the surface bacteria long enough to dehydrate, that drying process is the biggest hurdle for bacteria. Lowering the meat AW (available water) is the death nail for bacteria regardless of the temp. The process is straight forward and safe, don’t be intimidated.
Everything Eric said above!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky