Featured Vertical smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingLad

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
Upon watching some videos on you tube about diy smoker i ended up building a vertical smoker, i know alot of people prefers the off set which i also like but i put it into consideration the space and meat i can smoke. Here is the progress and i want to ask some wisdom and opinion on this one so i can do some adjustments if there is any. This smoker is set to smoke bacons. But i am looking to smoke some brisket and ribs so will my smoker work? Thanks guys
20200724_221026.jpg
20200724_221207.jpg
20200724_221145.jpg
20200724_221116.jpg

Attachments

• 20200724_221007.jpg
    20200724_221007.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 5
It looks like you have all the basics, it's like a two story UDS with access doors. How is the heat distribution as you move up in the different levels of the drum? How much charcoal does the fire basket hold, and it's hard to tell but is there ample room underneath for ash? I like the drip pan, but one of the features of upright drums is that little flavor bombs of fat can drip into the coals for an 'open pit' flavor. Some cooks don't care for that, but it's a selling point for me. Danny Gaulden called it the 'Grandpa smell' and he's right.

Reactions: JLeonard
It looks like you have all the basics, it's like a two story UDS with access doors. How is the heat distribution as you move up in the different levels of the drum? How much charcoal does the fire basket hold, and it's hard to tell but is there ample room underneath for ash? I like the drip pan, but one of the features of upright drums is that little flavor bombs of fat can drip into the coals for an 'open pit' flavor. Some cooks don't care for that, but it's a selling point for me. Danny Gaulden called it the 'Grandpa smell' and he's right.
That metal sheet that holds the pan is attachable at can be removed if needed i just put it in maybe for some heat deflector it has 3-5inches of space from the hole for the heat and smoke to come out.
The char tray has 3-4 inches space from the bottom. Do you think this will work dude?

It looks like it should put out some good food but the only real way to know is fire it up, slap some meat on and let it ride!
I have never seen a theory or opinion put good food on a plate.
FYI we want pics of the food

Reactions: SmokingLad
That metal sheet that holds the pan is attachable at can be removed if needed i just put it in maybe for some heat deflector it has 3-5inches of space from the hole for the heat and smoke to come out.
The char tray has 3-4 inches space from the bottom. Do you think this will work dude?
3" or 4" should be plenty of room for some ash to build up and still get good airflow, you just don't want to get choked out during a long cook. You could always make a little tool to move the ash over to one side if airflow becomes an issue. Or use some lump charcoal as it makes less ash than briquettes.

Reactions: SmokingLad
It looks like it should put out some good food but the only real way to know is fire it up, slap some meat on and let it ride!
I have never seen a theory or opinion put good food on a plate.
FYI we want pics of the food
Will try it once it is done by then lets talk about the adjustment if there will be any thanks bro

3" or 4" should be plenty of room for some ash to build up and still get good airflow, you just don't want to get choked out during a long cook. You could always make a little tool to move the ash over to one side if airflow becomes an issue. Or use some lump charcoal as it makes less ash than briquettes.
The char box is moveable and has gap on the sides.. by then i can take out the ashes

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky