Venison Trim for Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cody_Mack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 8, 2021
Fulshear, TX
So where can a non-hunter score some venison trim for making sausage? Is there such thing as a hunter that wants only the good cuts and roasts and such, and doesn’t really care about the trim? I know, I know, crazy talk, huh?

I suppose there are specialty meat markets that have it, but probably proud of it, too…$$$! What say y’all?

Rick

Not sure but could maybe talk with DNR or Game & Fish, whatever operates in your area. Occasionally there is nuisance deer for some ranchers that need to be eliminated by them, or deer/vehicle accidents where they have to dispatch the animal.

Reactions: jimmyinsd
Idk about trim but as Winterrider Winterrider said, contact local game wardens. They keep a list and give away deer that were taken illegally. Then you could process it as you see fit.

Contact the local sheriff's office as well. In some states the number of deer hit by vehicles is crazy and the sheriff's office also keeps a list of people that will take the hit deer.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
So where can a non-hunter score some venison trim for making sausage? Is there such thing as a hunter that wants only the good cuts and roasts and such, and doesn’t really care about the trim? I know, I know, crazy talk, huh?

I suppose there are specialty meat markets that have it, but probably proud of it, too…$$$! What say y’all?

Rick

There are hunters that will give away the whole deer because they only want the horns.
Some will only keep the backstrap.

Gotta find people personally who hunt. Most will take to a processor just ask them for 5 pounds of ground or ask them to give you 5 pounds of roast and grind it.

Honestly if you get venison u only want meat you would throw in a skillet and eat, if u want to make sausage from it. If you wouldn't do that with the meat/tissue you don't want it in your grind, you want to clean up/off anything you wouldn't eat.

Most will take to a processor
A lot of the processors I have seen don't take the time to trim deer meat properly, they leave too much deer fat and connective tissue. Time is money, and IF they do trim it rather than just cut off the bone and grind, they have way too much waste for my liking. Even with superb knife skills, it takes me 2+ hours just to bone out 1 deer. Processors just can't dedicate that much time to one deer and make money. That is one of the biggest reasons why I process the meat myself. A lot of people that don't like deer meat have eaten it from a processor that left fat on the meat. IMO, venison is very good.....if cared for properly after the kill and that includes proper processing.

I'll also post that if you take the live weight on the hoof before gutting and multiply by 0.32, that is how much properly trimmed meat you should get off a deer (assuming no loss to bullet wound like hitting bone and blowing out a shoulder). If you pick the carcass clean-and trim between every rib....get every scrap...you can push that to 0.37. But its the law of diminishing returns...takes a lot of time for not much meat.

I am in Northwest Houston area
There are hunters that will give away the whole deer because they only want the horns.
Some will only keep the backstrap.

Gotta find people personally who hunt. Most will take to a processor just ask them for 5 pounds of ground or ask them to give you 5 pounds of roast and grind it.

Honestly if you get venison u only want meat you would throw in a skillet and eat, if u want to make sausage from it. If you wouldn't do that with the meat/tissue you don't want it in your grind, you want to clean up/off anything you wouldn't eat.
Great points, tallbm tallbm . Yeah could be way more trouble than it's worth using just trim. I have run into that just trying to use a pork shoulder; lots of effort to get rid of all the undesirable scrap.

Reactions: tallbm
Well I have zero processing skills or experience, although I watch a lot of Bearded Butchers videos...LOL

I think I could handle it, but the cold storage space is an issue.

A lot of the processors I have seen don't take the time to trim deer meat properly, they leave too much deer fat and connective tissue. Time is money, and IF they do trim it rather than just cut off the bone and grind, they have way too much waste for my liking. Even with superb knife skills, it takes me 2+ hours just to bone out 1 deer. Processors just can't dedicate that much time to one deer and make money. That is one of the biggest reasons why I process the meat myself. A lot of people that don't like deer meat have eaten it from a processor that left fat on the meat. IMO, venison is very good.....if cared for properly after the kill and that includes proper processing.
Very good point! I process my own animals for the same reason.
My deer taste like lean beef almost al the time due to taking care of the meat and trimming. It also helps I shoot mostly does and a lot of the spikes are younger. Females taste better than males and younger taste better than older.

I'll make an exception for feral hogs a the processor since we are so accustomed to pork flavors. If I only have a weekend to hunt and I drop 3-4 pigs in a day then taking them to a processor to grind them all up would be completely acceptable for me.
Yep it cost some money BUT its far less money than what I lose if I take the days off to do it myself, so it's decent trade off.

I've been very fortunate to hunt on a ranch for about 5 years where the head guide used to professionally harvest game for wild game meat companies the ranches would contract with.
He know ALL the practices, processes, and standards to produce the highest quality meat the moment the animal was dropped in the field.
Things like skinning but being sure to leave outer areas of meat and tissue on the animal so it could protect the better meat underneath as the dear hung.
Having a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and white vinegar in a spray bottle to spray down the carcass and "whack" some bacteria and prevent other unwanted micro-organism behavior that may affect taste while the animal hung in the coolers.
Other things as well, all invaluable when handling the animal before it ever hit a knife for butchering or eating!

I'll also post that if you take the live weight on the hoof before gutting and multiply by 0.32, that is how much properly trimmed meat you should get off a deer (assuming no loss to bullet wound like hitting bone and blowing out a shoulder). If you pick the carcass clean-and trim between every rib....get every scrap...you can push that to 0.37. But its the law of diminishing returns...takes a lot of time for not much meat.
Very true! I always estimate .30 (30%) of the weight I can basically count on hitting :)
Diminishing returns is so true as well. I don't mess with ribs or flanks or necks on these small body TX deer I take. They are usually 90-100lb so no such thing as a real "neck roast" on these animals.

Well I have zero processing skills or experience, although I watch a lot of Bearded Butchers videos...LOL

I think I could handle it, but the cold storage space is an issue.

As indaswamp indaswamp has mentioned even the grind form a processor will have more tissue in it than you want.
If you could get your hands on whole muscle roasts from the back leg (top round, bottom, round, sirloin) then you don't need any real butchering skills, u just need a sharp knife!
you just cut off any silver skin or translucent outer tissue you wouldn't throw in a skillet and eat.
Once done, you have premium venison meat to eat... provided the animal was treated properly from being down to the meat coming to u :D

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky