Upgraded/downgraded to a trager from am offset.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meltyface

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Ok so I just bought a new Trager Texan yesterday and did my first smoke today (beer can chicken). I've been using an offset for years and I'm a little disappointed with this purchase. Hopefully someone can give me a few pointers to make me more at ease with this purchase. So the most important thing is I didn't have a smoke flavor or even penetration into the mean. I let the pellets ignite then cooked at 350 for 2 hours.

Is there a way to get more smoke from these things, there was a little produced the entire time but definitely not enough to be a "thin blue smoke" like is needed for the flavor.

Any tips at all are welcomed!

Last edited:
350??? You won't get any smoke flavor at 350. Smoke at 160-180 for several hours then kick it up to 225-250. Many add an auxiliary smoke generator, like an Amazen Tube or maze.

Example: for ribs I smoke low at 160 for 2-3 hours the kick it up a bit. I do briskets and butts overnight so they get 4-5 hours of low temp smoke. I sometimes use an Amazen expandable tube smoker too for briskets and butts.

You can and will get smoke flavor but it will be less prominent and your taste will have to reaclimate from the stick burning flavor.

The pellets burn far too efficiently at higher temps to produce smoke flavor. I do get a hearty smoke ring with my pellet pooper.

You will never equal the smoke intensity of your stick burner. I have several smokers and the more I use the pellet grill the more I appreciate the flavor. But you must cook at a lower temp than 350. Remember, the beauty of a pellet smoker is lack of user intervention. So start earlier, play some golf and/or go to a movie then eat BBQ.

One of the problems with pellet grills/smokers is you are burning the source of your smoke faster than if it was a solid stick of wood. You will need an additional smoke source if you want to get anywhere near the smoke flavor you get using wood or charcoal.

I won a Traeger, used it twice sold it.

Look into the tube Smokers that Todd sells Amaze N Smokers. The tubes will work in your pit, opposite end from fire box as long as your pit temp is at or below 285. After that they pellets will not smolder they wil ignite and burn up.

Other option is to pipe smoke into the pit.

​Basically yes is the answer that you have to rethink how you smoke/cook all of your stuff.  My chickens I smoke for an hour and 1/2 then crank temp up to get the breast to 160 and make the skin crispy.   Ribs I just smoke for 6 hours at 185.   I came from a side box and had to relearn everything but enjoy the ease of loading pellets and forgetting.   Briskets take 6-8 hours on smoke then wrap in foil and back on until the internal temp is 205.  Then wrap in towels and place in a ice chest to rest for a couple of hours.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky