Underground Cooking !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwayne

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Kansas City
I was wanting some stories of how others do this My Bro. and I are going to cook up a leg of lamb half a small hog and lots of fresh veggies underground in a pit we have done once before but with not so much food and just for us we dug a pit about a foot in diameter bigger than the food we put in it and layed rocks in the bottom of the pit then burned wood til we had about 9-12 inches of coals going then we put some more stones and triple wraped all the food with foil and then wraped with wet burlap sacks and layed on some more rocks then threw sand and dirt over it and covered it up with a piece of metal roof we had laying around and more dirt over that waited about 10-12 hrs and it was done but I was wandering how others do it I want it to be right and really good. as we arent the only ones eating it this time dont get me wrong it was awsome the first time but I love to get others takes on things and use the best of all thanks in advance everyone.

Hey Gene, thanks for finding that link!

Dwayne, I do hogs similar to what you are saying only I build the bed of coals, lay some racks or metal down on the hot coals, then the wrapped pig or meat, then another sheet of metal covers the hole.
Then I bury the whole thing with dirt. Usually let it cook overnight, especially if it is a big hog.
Here is a link to a few pics.....they aren't the best.
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...round-pit.html

You can do other meats in the pit at the same time too.

It really puts out good eats. :)

Thanks Rivet, hope you give it a try sometime!
cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky