Uds !......why ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dick bullard

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Lombard, Il.
Not trying to get any folks uptight..but what's the bit with the UDS ?

I see a lot of effort by a lot of folks trying to build one of these.....searching out parts and etc.

Let's see now.......they are ugly (not too though!)

........not much space on the cooking rack

.......not the easiest to reload charcoal

This is an honest question, not trying to be funny....is it the challenge or what ? Tell me what is missing in the equation......!

I keep wandering..."Should I make one of these ?"...Then that same old question keeps flashing in my mind...."WHY ?"

Rick

A question from a guy with 5 smokers.Yes build one and have 6.I have loaded my UDS with enough fuel to run 16hrs.not sure what anyone smokes longer than that maybe a whole elephant
icon_smile.gif
It's sure an improvement from my little chief and the price was right because I'm as tight as the bark on a tree.As I learn more I'm sure another type of smoker will be a + and I like to tinker around and this fit the bill perfect.that's why I built one and the look on friends and family when they see where I smoked it is priceless.Bill

i think a lot of us fits that bill.................

now that there is funny!!!!

1. Very long smoke time 12-16 hours without a refill.
2. 22.5" cooking rack, plenty of room for a couple of Boston butts.
install a domed lid and you can now have two cooking racks.
3. excellent temperature control.
4. inexpensive, normal builds under $100
5. seems to cook faster.

Now you have my interest!

I don't have a UDS but how and what type of fuel lets you go that long without adding more? Do you just make a thick layer of charcoal, put hot ones on top and then it just slowly burns down lighting the new coals?

12-16 hours is just amazing! And I thought the MES was an easy-to-use smoker!

I put in the basket about 8 -10lbs of charcoal brickets , Kingsford type and some fist size chunks of the wood I want to smoke with a start 15 or so and drop them in and you off to the races. my basket is 8" tall and 18" round.(it's the charcoal grate from a 22.5 Webber grill) .I welded some legs to it and expanded metal around it

If your cooking an elephant you will need to re-fuel 1 time.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Also very easy to maintain temps using charcoal, and probably a better taste than an electric one but since i don't have one i am guessing on that. Ohh and its fun to build and customize, and warm and cold outside air temps don't affect it.

Like has been said...
-Long cook times with minimal adjustments,
-Plenty of cook space (mine has 2 racks),
-Great flavor from juices vaporizing on the coals,
-Wide range of operating temps-I can cruise at 240 degrees or 350+ if needed with no problem
-The build project is fun
-Food tastes better on something you built yourself
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

What they all said.^^^ Plus I built it and that makes my food taste better.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Seriously, I can fit it in my balcony closet, once I get a house I'll build a side box from scratch, why, because I can.
icon_smile.gif

ok yall have peaked my intrest in building a Uds. i have a drum /its not food grade is that ok.if so i think the biuld would be fun .and the smoke times are way better than what i get now.but i think i would want a fire box

Every uds is different.. You make it, you get to know it and nobody has one just like it.. You smoke to the beat of a different drum!

the mineral oil was for an electrical transformer but i looked it up and it is the same as regular baby oil just a different name to suite the buyers .the oil is used as a cooler because it is dielectric.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky