UDS burnout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sweet chops bbq

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Southern Californ i a
Please help. I plan on making a UDS from a brand new 55G drum, but I am unsure about the correct way to do the burnout. Does the kind of wood really matter since I will have to season it anyways once the minor construction of it is done? I can get some cheap firewood to use at 7-11 but I think it may contain pine. Will the pine smoke resinate in the drum and release the pine everytime I smoke? This is my first one and I want to do it right.
Thanks

I used cheap firewood for the burnout on mine. I have also seen plenty of people using used pallets for fuel for the burnout. Like you said you are still gonna grind down to bare metal and season. I don't see a problem with it.

I just got old pallets from work to burn mine out. Just get it really nice and hot so it burns the paint off an any other stuff that is left inside the drum. Some guys then take a grinder to them but I didn't I just scraped any that was left with my hand wire brush. You only need around 4 pallets to do the job. I did around 8 because we sat outside in the beautiful winter day and drank some beers and had a camp fire. haha

I wouldnt be too concerned with the burnout on the new barrel. Pine shouldnt leave residue, but wouldnt be my first choice. Most people find a junk pallet or 3 and burn them out with those. They are usually free. In your case (new barrel that is just bare metal inside) i might just give it a good scrubbing with something safe and then season it. The burnout is usually to remove any liners, paint, or residues inside it. Im in the process of building one right now, but mine had the food grade liner in it and it is a bear to get out. Done 2 burnouts and wire wheeled it and i still have some sticking around...

I did about 3-4 pallets worth of wood through mine, then used a heated pressure washer after that. I never did any grinding on the inside.

I imagine about 6 or 7 of those bags of wood would be similar

Is it brand new?? Is it bare metal inside??

If so, no need to do a burnout.

Get your parts and a drill and start building.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Dave

I built mine from a brand new drum, just spray the inside really good with pam spray and load your charcoal basket and fire it up. I did mine twice just like I was going to smoke just no food involved. Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky