Turkey breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Put a 4 1/4 lb turkey breast in the MES for 3 hours at 240. After 2 hours, temp had only gotten up to 115F. After another hr, cranked temp up and then had to pull the turkey breast as it was only at 145F. Put in oven at 350 and took another hour.

We had scrambled eggs with some serrano ham on top (a deli pack gift from a client).

Turkey dinner tomorrow.

Any ideas what may have gone wrong?

Reactions: bbqking01
I would say the only thing that went wrong was impatience. I've never cooked even a 2-1/2 lb rack of ribs in 3 hours at those temps.
I also had the door open too long loading racks and water pans in AFTER I started. Dummy me. WE had turkey dinner tonight and it was quite tasty. Did a pasa salad instead of all the other trimmings. Too busy this time of year.

Likely was. Should have stuck with 4 1/2 hours. I made a note in my log "DO NOT USE POUND PER MINUTE EVER"
First off we are all learning together. I agree though you can't rely on time per pound. Especially at lower temps. I assume this was bone in breast? Those are my favorite and take me around 4hrs ish. I start at 225 for an hour then walk the temp up to 275. Then when the colors is looking good I go up to 325 to finish. I baste the whole time. This is my outcome
IMG_20201126_142158.jpg

This is on a pellet smoker and I know you can't open the door as often as I can with your mes so just do the smoking portion on the mes to 275 then hit the oven at 325 and baste away. Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense. Also I'm a big fan of injecting with Cajun butter before the cook. Guarantees a juice bomb for a bird

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky