Turkey 3% salt water

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
Bought some frozen 'young turkeys' from Sam's and they say that they are in a 3% solution of water and sea salt.

Would you brine them?

Smoke-frying them.

Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
I've done some that say 19% solution added . I use my normal brine . The protein will retain around 10% , so what's in it will mix with your brine , expel what it won't hold and you're good . Just rinse and pat dry when your ready to cook it .

Bought some frozen 'young turkeys' from Sam's and they say that they are in a 3% solution of water and sea salt.

Would you brine them?

Smoke-frying them.

Thanks
after reading on this last year I've decided not to brine turkey. (as of last year). I'm one of the wierdo's that for 40 years have been putting my turkey in a Glad bag in the oven.. Haven't F'd one up yet.
Now, if I ever see turkey breasts for $.99/lb I'll grab a gob and smoke them to make lunch meat.
But typically breasts (turkey) are 'spensive and i can buy boars head buffalo turkey breast at the sto'

Reactions: kelbro
Once they are already injected a brine wont get into the meat very well, it's already logged, injection is about the only way to get your solution in. I stopped doing injected as I could never taste mine as well as I wanted and had over salted 1. It's tough finding them not injected, I will be taking a look hard Monday for mine either not injected or not,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky