Tried new seasoning on tenderloins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
Today was my first attempt at a pork tenderloin, also decided to go a different rout on the seasonings. Only 2 were used, I usually take a minimalist view on seasoning. you know spices that will only enhance the natural flavor of the meat.
so here we go ground fennel seed and rosemary.
DSCF3516.JPG

put in smoker with cherry chips at 275 for about 30 minutes.
DSCF3517.JPG

Cooked early mostly so i could get a good picture in daylight. tried a piece pretty good very light on the smoke, not sure if that is because of the type or the short time in it. I will be trying it again this time a lower temp for longer. Maybe 200 for whatever it takes.

and the cut which was sometime latter
DSCF3520.JPG

Last edited:
They look good. I have never used Fennel, tthink I might try it.

Loin is such a nice piece of the animal, tender and juicy.

I run quite low @180F for several hours until I get to 130F internal, then bump up to 250F to finish off.

I also cure & brine some of these and they make the best Ham, maybe something you may want to try someday.

I agree that in many cases fennel is underused. It’s very much like black licorice as is anise seed. I’ve found that even people like ME, who dislike black licorice love fennel when used with discretion. I use I often, but lightly for my taste.

Looks great! Looks like you got them pulled off the smoker at the right time. Nice pink center. And good job on trying something outside of your normal cooks. Sometimes you have to try new things your not comfortable with to see what you can do. LIKE!

Nice cook/smoke.
I've found a little fennel seed (especially when fresh from the grinder) goes a very long way.
Rosemary is more forgiving. Hint, garlic is a great companion with rosemary.

Looks great!
I just use my regular pork rub on tenderloins.
The main thing is to not over cook them.
I also use a strong wood like mesquite cause it's such a short smoke.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky