Traditional Sardinian lamb.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This is the ticket! The wife wanted me to do something special for Easter dinner and here I am drooling after a search. All we need is to see how long and what temp. This looks like the Bomb! I'm always under pressure since the daughter married a top drawer pro chef and when they come over it is put up or shut up time. This should keep him quiet and munching with a smile. ;)

Last edited:
This is the ticket! The wife wanted me to do something special for Easter dinner and here I am drooling after a search. All we need is to see how long and what temp. This looks like the Bomb! I'm always under pressure since the daughter married a top drawer pro chef and when they come over it is put up or shut up time. This should keep him quiet and munching with a smile. ;)
Now I am under pressure! The recipe has 70-90 minutes in a dutch oven.Liquid plum tomato's water.

I will be doing lamb stock,red wine,still not sure about tomato & in MES. One tip early is get 2 people to string up roast.Move it around gently.Pops could help with the boning tutorial.I know there are a lot of members who have great knife skills including the guys who hunt elk & all those other tasty looking critters you have..Its about unfolding the meat so it lays flat,I should have trimmed shank end too late know. I will touch up carving knife on waterstone I want to slice it neatly. 1 of guests culinary school grad back in the day so I will get plenty of help. 

730 am here bacon gone in now.

OK I changed it up a bit,I cant help myself.1x finely chopped onion,1x carrot same,garlic,into the pan from last night that I  used to roast 2 of the sausages & a patty I  made out of leftover stuffing.fried in the drippings.Pulled shank,leg bone out of stock pot,finely diced what meat was there was .Into pan,scrappy bit of pancetta chopped,garni,red wine tomato passata,stock. Cook it off a bit .This will sit under lamb roast,catch drippings & then be both sauce for meat ,then for pasta at a later time.I will brown & put in leftover lamb mince then.

This is the way Southern Italians taught me to cook  here & in Italy. I did this same sauce  or close for 8 Italians in a little village in Abruzzo Easter 2000 with leftover lamb from a big Easter dinner. They ate ,looked at me then said Great sauce,you must have been taught to cook by an Abruzzo nonna.
yahoo.gif
Given they dont think the people in the region can cook let alone Aussies high praise indeed.
f32c052a_IMG_0092.jpg

That is more carrot than I would have used.

Having said that?  After seeing your posts, I would be very to happy to eat the cooks you didn't think came out perfectly!

Good luck and good smoking.

This is for LarryM,its my homemade bottarga the big one is kingfish the small one the more traditional m sea mullet.I will just make a standard clams & mussells in white wine ,garlic etc the add parsley & shaved bottarga on service. Got Sardinian pecorino,dried fruit & honey for desert.

I cant get it posted in here .There is an old thread of me making bottarga.This season I am going to cold smoke some.
45295a46_IMG_0094.jpg

OK its 1050pm & a bit late in the evening to make a lot of sense v but this turned out really well Pan under was closer to element logically
7182f619_IMG_0098.jpg
 so sauce thickened a bit  but did it taste good! Lamb was tender & had all the flavours from stuffing.It went 3 hours in MES at 80 or 1 hour at 100c.Perfect.

With the pan juices on it .I could have tweaked juices a bit but I  got company.All saved for later.Very deep rich flavours in sauce.Lamb stock a big part ,glad I  skimmed fat ,it will be pasta sauce another day. Was it worth the trouble ,did it live up to hype YES it did. Great way to do lamb, shoulder a real option.Roast potato & greens blanched then refried with garlic,pancetta ,onion,squeeze of lemon..Ate till we couldn't eat no more.

Carved fairly well but still a bit trick
2143cac6_IMG_0101.jpg
y to keep it neat.Really good meal.Plenty left over.

Out of order,I  know. Decision not to brown it in pan first ,right.Pan under ,right.Might have added a bit more wine/stock to it during smoke but not fatal.Will still make great sauce.
9180e9c0_IMG_0097.jpg

Now that looks superb! I see you pretty much wing it but I get the feel. Great job and photos. I can do this. What herbs did you use in the stock? Adding carrots is a good idea. Thanks for a great idea and recipe.

Now that looks superb! I see you pretty much wing it but I get the feel. Great job and photos. I can do this. What herbs did you use in the stock? Adding carrots is a good idea. Thanks for a great idea and recipe.
Stock was just lamb bones parsley stalks water& a glass of leftover charddonay I found lurking in fridge. Made day before in fridge to set fat so I could remove it. 

Red sauce under lamb had thyme,oregano & bay leaf. 

I would pass on these things.Tie it up snug it will make it easier to carve,add extra liquids to pan under,combination of stock,red wine,passata if you want to use it as pasta sauce for your starter or another time. Dont overstuff lamb,those amounts gave me enough  over to make a patty but I only really went by feel eye except for eggs,onion,parsley.I would have been close.Stick a probe in it , I didnt turn it ,move it poke it ,nothing.

I was 3hours at 90c,1 hour at 100c I think.Red wine was kicking in by then.

I used quality sausage. Reusing the lamb from stock gave red sauce lovely depth.

Good luck

Glad you guys liked it. 3 out of 4 diners were Aussies from country towns born in the 60s.We grew up on lamb it was a staple.This was a lovely way to eat it.Had it cold for dinner it had all set beautifully ,tender stuffing was great. Would be great in sammies. I think it would work really well with shoulder.Mostly that gets cut on bandsaw & sold as grilling chops. Bachelor chops they call them in country towns,cheap & chewy.

I had great fun with it.

Thank YOU! Here it was side box but followed your directions. Pro Chef SIL came back for thirds!

482179d2_P1000883.jpg

f5b15a2f_P1000884.jpg

Pomodoro sauce under the meat in the smoker was genius. Unreal!

924d8fff_P1000882.jpg

Easter Feast! Three year vertical of Napa Cabs to wash it down. '04,'05,'06.
fffbab39_P1000885.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky